Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Very important; please read.

Hi Guys,
We were astonished to read the accompanying article in the Perthshire Advertiser today. We are not blaming the lady and gent but we are vehemently blaming the reporter who did not ask us if it was true. We would be pleased if any of our friends would simply write to the paper to object about some of the content. See the pointers below.

GRF has nothing to do with Baltree Farm which is owned by Graham Hutt. We have no earthly intention of building dog breeding kennels, with or without planning permission. We have just spent £600 NEUTERING dogs !!

We object to the penetrating noise of dogs barking 24/7. They bark violently for an hour at feeding time like all other dogs. Much of the time and especially at night they are quiet. They certainly do not bark all day and night long.

GRF are certainly not bringing in more dogs. We have a WAITING LIST of 30 endangered dogs that we have no space for.

Stating that the breeding aspect was probably a viable business is absolutely correct -- but only to the people who are breeding, not GRF. This statement is disastrous for our cause since anyone reading the article will not donate money to folk who run a profitable business. and they will probably not want to rehome from breeders.

There has been a massive, possibly very costly mistake in identity between Graham Hutt in Baltree Farm and GRF in our kennels. Please demand a retraction and apology.
The P.A. editor is Alison Lowson alowson@s-un.co.uk
The reporter is pa@s-un.co.uk His name is Denis Brown for your email letter.
Thank you.
Celia, Jimmy and all the dogs who are badly enough off.

This is the newspaper article.

Barking hounds neighbours at greyhound sanctuary

Jun 1 2010 by Denis Brown, Perthshire Advertiser Tuesday

NEIGHBOURS fear the unauthorised expansion of a rural Kinross kennels operation will amplify the aggravating sound of barking.

Although Baltree Farm near Gairneybank, home of Greyhound Rescue Fife, has an existing permit for kennels, construction of a dog-breeding facility and kennel runs are underway without a planning permit.

However, neighbours have notified Perth and Kinross Council that dog breeding requires a permit under 2008 Town and Country Planning Regulations and a retrospective planning application is now being processed.

In his application, Graham Hutt explained he had assumed no planning permission was necessary as the new building replaced an existing steel support skeleton of a former building at the site.

But objectors Fiona and Stephen Crawford, who live on a neighbouring property, one of about 23 adjacent homes, told the PA they were puzzled as to why Mr Hutt had failed to realise no permit was required.

In their objection they pointed out it was the second dog-related proposal at Baltree Farm, saying the “penetrating noise of dogs barking could be heard throughout their neighbourhood 24/7.

He already put in a successful application for a cattery and kennels to the council last year, on which work is still ongoing, as is work on the latest building for which he has no permit, Mrs Crawford said.

So presumably there are going to be more dogs now.

At worst you hear them when they are being fed, but it depends on wind direction and now that the trees are in leaf, it cushions the sound so it's not as bad.

It's not a huge issue, but our concern is that it doesn't become a huge issue and we start to feel stressed.

She described the Baltree Farm sanctuary which rescues and houses retired racing greyhounds as a good cause and one she had no objection to in principle, adding that the breeding aspect was probably a viable business.

we're certainly not the closest to the kennels and another neighbour is considerably closer to the new building that's going up, so, as I said to the council, a noise assessment really needs to be done, she said.

If this issue were to be addressed, and some form of noise mitigation measure undertaken, we would have no further objection.

Greyhound Rescue Fife's website describes the farm as a sanctuary for greyhounds run by Celia and Jimmy Fernie that always has many animals looking for new homes plus a waiting list of incoming dogs.

The couple established the sanctuary in the memory of an unwanted stray greyhound called Tiggy they had adopted, which died of bone cancer, and have subsequently found new owners for 300 homeless hounds.

According to the couple, an estimated 30,000-plus greyhounds are deemed surplus to requirements every year, most at the end of their track racing careers.

Some are as young as just two years old.

We will never be able to accommodate the vast number of greyhounds reaching the end of their racing careers each year, but, we do the very best that we can, they said.

Potential greyhound adoptees should go to: http://greyhoundrescuefife.com/

Re: Very important; please read.

Hi

read the article on their website and found it very misleading so used their email link to send a wee note asking if they could clarify. Hope you hear from them soon.

I have emailed Alison (the editor) to complain about this extrememly poor piece of 'journalism', and reminded her of her obligations regarding accuracy under the Press Complaints Commission Editor's Code of Conduct. In that email I have raised the points made in the original post and insisted that the paper prints a full apology to GRF.

I think it would be helpful for others to do the same. It would also be helpful if people in the distribution area for the paper could keep an eye out to see if they actually do make a retraction or apology

I saw this in yesterdays PA and also thought it painted a bad picture of GRF. I shall also e-mail to complain and shall keep an eye out in fridays PA.

I've also written to complain and demanded a full apology to GRF. I'll keep an eye out in Friday's edition.

I have sent an email off to the editor and cc d. to the reporter tonight. Lets hope they look into this and we get a full page apology in the next edition!!
Thanks to everyone for responding lets get these emails in to show our support to Celia and Jimmy!!!!!!!

George, Morag, Billy & Lassie

I have also emailed the editor with a very stern letter and demanded a full apology to GRF be printed in their paper and have suggested that as some kind of recompense they make a large donation to GRF

Karen Brundell

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for your obviously highly successful objections.
We have just received a personal apology from the editor of the Perthshire Advertiser.
She intends to write a full apology in Tuesday's paper and run a follow-up feature in next Friday's Perthshire advertiser promoting our work.
Thank you for helping GRF.
Celia and Jimmy.

I should think so too. Have they also offered a donation as I suggested to them?
I hope they do a huge spread on your work and your dogs waiting for homes.

Kaz and Pat Brundell (and Ace who wags his tail in agreement)

Hi Kaz, Pat and Ace,
No money I'm afraid but we might rehome dogs from it.
Thank Ace for his wagging.

Done it! Lets hope it helps. I have also demanded compensation (and a volley of other things, just falling short of that idiot reporter's head on a platter).

Shandy, Nell and Missie send waggy love
S
x

Given that the editor has made an email apology to Celia and Jimmy I am shocked and angered to find the original article (unedited with no addendum pointing out its many inaccuracies) remains on their website. I have emailed Alison again to express this.

A quick update - Alison replied to my email this morning and the article has now been removed from the website

Steve - that's good to hear. I had an apology from the editor for the "cock up". I had a look at their website just now and can't see an apology or public retraction on there yet, have you seen one at all?

I can't find anything on the website, but a prominent apology has been posted at the top of the letters page (page 12) of today's Perthshire Advertiser. It clarfies that GRF have nothing to do with Graham Hutt and promises a special feature. Karen scanned a copy and emailed it to us if anybody wants to see it send me an email and I'll forward it on.

Thanks to Steve and Karen, this is the Apology to G.R.F. in the Perthshire Advertiser dated 8th June 2010 which I thought you could view from the forum. I hope you do not mind me doing this post Steve!

Click here to view the apology to G.R.F.

You can zoom in to enlarge your view by using the + button on the right hand side of the window.

Looking forward to Fridays article.

George, Morag, Billy and Lassie

The Perthshire Advertiser have now published their feature on GRF. Have a look here

just read the article. BRILLIANT what more can i say.
jets turn next week we`ll be in the Falkirk herald woo hoo more publicity for the wonderfull hounds.

Great article and poetic justice that the same reporter who cocked things up before has written it! I particularly like the bit which stresses the nearby kennels run by Mr Hutt are unrelated!