Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Big lump

Found a big lump on Lucy last week that sprung up out of nowhere so tok her to the vets. He found a small hard lump and a larger fluid filled lump above it. He thought it was probabay just inflamation that would take care of itself, but he took a sample just to be sure, and drained the fluid.

Vet called today and the results were inconclusive but most likely indicate that the lump is in fact a type of tumour which can get very nasty if not caught. She gos in on Monday to have it removed and sent of to CSI Vetland for analysis. Hopefully we've found in time and that will be end of it.

Re: Big lump

Fingers crossed that it's nothing sinister

Poor Lucy. At least you've caught it right away so fingers crossed all is well.

I know Monday will be a difficult time for you but I'm sure Lucy will be fine

Hope the results are all clear - keep in touch and let us know how things go. We'll be watching for your post on the forum.

Hoping all goes well for Lucy xx

Hi Steve and Julie,
You know that we are with you guys all the way.
If there's anything we can do to help ----- .
Give our wee pal the biggest cuddle ever from her old Auntie and Uncle.
Prayers and best wishes,
Celia and Jimmy.

Steve & Julie,

All the best for monday with lucy. Its a hard time they become part of the family and unless your dog lovers no one else understands this. Been there with my parents oldest dog. Hopefully the results will be all clear and if not sounds like you have caught things early, so fingers crossed. Our thoughts are with you all.

Best wishes
Karen, john & quincy x

Hi Steve and Julie

Hope all goes well Monday and fingers crossed for Lucy.

Kaz, Pat and Ace

Hi Steve & Julie

Our best wishes for good news on Monday, its difficult but try not to worry too much. Greyhounds are very good patients, and seem to recover fast from ops at the vet. Our Sally was speyed a few weeks ago, and in less than a week later she was her usual self.

Over the years weve also had lumps removed from some of our dogs, with no lasting effects. So fingers crossed and best wishes to Lucy from Duke, Sally and yes another Lucy.

I'll be thinking of Lucy on Monday. Hope it all goes ok.

Lucy is back from the vets, feeling quite sore and groggy. The vet has successfully removed the lump and all the surrounding tissue that it was attached to. She has a spectacular wound and 12 stitches runnng vertically from the middle of her back to behind her front shoulder. I have taken a picture of it, but had second thoughts about posting it given this a family forum and some people might find it a bit too graphic and upsetting. As she moves about there is a little bit of blood weeping from the stitches, but not much. The vet said that there may be some inflamation over the next few days due to movement and where the wound is.

The lab results should be back at the end of the week, and the stitches are due to come out in ten days (next Thursday).

Kell has been very interested in figuring out where she's been and what's happened, but has been very gentle doing so.

One last point on pet insurance. Our vet requires payment in full and you then claim back the costs through your insurance. They also charge an admin fee for the claim form. I gather this practice is widespread now - it doesn't worry me, but it's worth double checking with your vet if your own personal cashflow situation is tight.

I'll keep you updated on Lucys progress, and thanks for all the messages of support.

Poor Lucy.We are keeping our fingers crossed that the results come back clear.
Our vet has also said that we have to pay for the vets bill then claim it back,but she also said if it goes into the hundreds that they will sort out some sort of payment plan. so it is worth talking to your vet before anything arises(god for bid).
Please give Lucy a gentle get well cuddle for us.

Hi Steve, Kell and especially Lucy,
we're all keeping fingers crossed that everything works out fine!!!

Michele

Go for it wee Lucy. You're a GRF dog. We make 'em tough. We're sure you'll be fine, lovely wee girl. We're all rootin' for you.
Get well soon and save Kell and your Mum and Dad worrying.
Auntie Celia and Uncle Jimmy.

Steve

One last point on pet insurance. Our vet requires payment in full and you then claim back the costs through your insurance. They also charge an admin fee for the claim form. I gather this practice is widespread now - it doesn't worry me, but it's worth double checking with your vet if your own personal cashflow situation is tight.

That can often happen, it is always best to check with your vet when you take out the insurance. I use Pet Plan and most vets are happy to wait for payment from them, sometimes if you use a lesser-known insurance company then your vet will be more keen for you to pay up front.

Good luck with Lucy's results, fingers crossed for her.

Quick update. Lucy slept well last night and was well up for her (short!) walk this morning dragging Julie in tow. She bounced up at me when I got back from work today, just not quite as high as usual. She’s strutting about like nothings happened!

My thoughts are with you and hope Lucy will be ok!!
Susan

Lucy is very lucky to have such a vigilant mum and dad as catching these things early is key. She also clearly has a very positive mental attitude, which is half the battle, and so endearing - I had a wee lurcher just like that and she defied veterinary science!
Re your insurance comments, I'm wondering if we could have a GRF support 'fund' whereby interested parties could pledge a certain amount to be available to GRF to fund immediate vet bills until owners of GRF dogs could claim on their insurance. It would be extra admin for GRF, as I think they would need to administer it (with some volunteer help), but it would be useful back-up for owners in stressful situations. This is just the seed of an idea - what do readers think?

I use Petplan as well. Last time I had to claim my vet took all the paper work & filled it out & sent it away for me. They didn't take a penny off me meantime. It is quite expensive compared to almost all other insurers but they must be very reputable & vets are obviously confident of getting paid
How's Lucy doing?

Lucy is bouncing around like mothing ever happened! Her shaved patch now looks more like a ginger skinhead than a baldy Stitches out on thursday, still waiting on the results to see exactly what the lunp was.

Glad to hear that Lucy is better - fingers crossed the lump was nothing nasty and that she gets the all clear.

Re the comments on insurance, I would echo the points made about PetPlan. We've been insured with them for over a year now and had to claim loads (several thousand) when Shandy had his bad accident, but on renewal the premiums didn't go up by much at all. When the claims were processed the vets handled all the money side of everything and I only had to sign the odd claim form when needed. They are a bit more expensive, but really worth it for peace of mind. Being so worried about Shandy, having the vets handle all the claims and payments took a load off our minds and we could concentrate on making sure he got better.

I am also fairly sure that the fact that we were insured with PetPlan and our vets knew this, was the reason for them not hesitating to undertake Shandy's emergency operation which was at 3am and saved his life!

Took lucy back to the vets today to have her stitches out. The results came back and the lump was 'fat necrosis' which was more than likely caused by some previous trauma. Lucy is pretty much back to her old self, but she is to stay on light exercise for anohter week. We'll be at the walk on Sunday so you can all see how she's doing.

Steve,
So glad to hear the good news about Lucy. As Celia and Jimmy said earlier she is a GRF dog, It takes more than a lump to keep her down.
The hounds just get on with it not even a groan when in discomfort not like us humans.
Good News anyway
George, Morag, Billy & Lassie

Hi Steve,
This is great news. We are needing cheered up and this is just the ticket. Give that gorgeous wee girl a huge cuddle from us.
WHOOPEE.
Celia and Jimmy.

Great news! So glad it was nothing nasty - she'll be back on her feet, bouncing in no time!!

Awh thats fab news, great to hear!!! :) :) :)
Susan