Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SNAPPING

I am now the proud owner of Mikey, even my old lady Annie thinks he's a bit of alright! Never had any issues with Annie since the day she came into our lives, and although Mikey is a long way from walking off the lead, he's doing brilliantly! But he's a bit choosey about other dogs to have a snap at, although he doesn't (and I don't think has any intention of) biting. He's fab with kids, other humans, greyhounds and dogs who live with a greyhound, and some other breeds. Has anyone else had this problem to deal with - I do think that the dog is much more 'alert' than the bitch.
Maybe it's just going to take time?
Isobel

Re: SNAPPING

Hi,

We rescued quincy end of april and on occasion he has done this. Like you say he is very choosy as to which dogs he does this too, i think it is more his way of saying this is my space. It tends to be when other dogs bound up to him or go behind him for a sniff. He did it to my parents vizsla after they had been out a walk together and quincy was lying sleeping and ghillie went to sniff him. He just gave a little snap and that was it and now ghillie respects his space when hes sleeping.

Karen

If your dog is snapping at other dogs you need to be very careful, and maybe it would be a good idea to use the muzzle until he calms down and adjusts to his new surroundings. This can be a long process - our last bitch was bit of a handful until she got older and mellowed with age. If Mikey hasn't had the snip yet that might calm him down.

I am slighlty worried by you saying that he "is a long way from walking off the lead" - GRF recommend that greyhounds are not let off the lead in public places. This is with good reason. Greyhounds have a very strong instinct and will chase prey in a heartbeat. Chasing after something they want to get to will win over you trying to call them, and there have been tragic consequences of this. Have a read of the 'trust' article - http://www.greyhoundrescuefife.com/trust.htm.

Hi - mine and Bambi's names had to come up when there is the subject of snapping and other dogs eh!! lol Just thought Id add to what has been said - Bambi when I first got her was way way over the top in her reactions to other dogs and is SO SO SO much better now than she was!!!Time works well on these things I think!! She is very unpredictable as to which dogs she reacts to even now and she is always walked muzzled due to this as greys reactions can appear very quickly!! I would agree with Steve and urge caution at this stage and just hang on in there as Mikey settles in - he is a gorgeous boy I met him at the dog show!! x