Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Peter: your guitars?

Peter,
I noticed in Chicago that you switched between both a tele and a strat. Most (many?) of us here are probably familiar with basics about the guitars, but could you maybe say a little about your preferences -- do you prefer a certain guitar for a certain song, or is just a matter of broken strings?
(Love the tortise shell pickguards, by the way!)

Re: Peter: your guitars?

It's taken me this long to find two guitars that I love to play again, since I had all those gumby Guilds.

The Telecaster is off the wall in Guitar Center that was modified for me by Michael Costanzo. Mike has taken care of my equipment with Hootie for many years and is a talented technician and recordist. It had two Lindy Fralin pickups in it, but I kept clipping both E strings under the top of the bobbin (no cover) during so many enthusiastic twangs that I said 'to hell with this' and had Mike remove the neck pickup and turn it into an Esquire. I only ever used the bridge pickup anyway. And the pickguard is actually abalone. It's a real loud guitar and very controllable for whatever I play.

The Strat, is a $99 Squier that has Gibson humbucking bridge pickup and a volume knob, one simpler than the Tele. That's my PRASB guitar, the one on which I broke the strap off on the first song of our first ever performance. It's also real loud but in a fuller way. It's also a little more random as to what sounds I get out of it. Both guitars are strung with 11's.

I've use both guitars interchangeably, despite the different sounds. One day, I'd love to have a Les Paul Jr. to complement the Fenders.

But I'm not real picky (Mike probably wishes I was more picky!). My amp with the Hooties is a reissue Vox AC30. My own amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I use a Blue Tube pedal for disdain and extortion and a Phase 90 for special occasions. That's about it, save my signature thin nylon plectrums.

My acoustic is a beautiful old Guild D40 that David Jenkins at Truetone Music found for me a few years ago. It survived Katrina in another friend's home and is the stuff dreams are written on.

At home, we have an arsenal of cheap guitars hanging on our wall now that I love to pick on: a little Yamaha, another even smaller Yamaha (Webb's), an ancient Harmony big body, a weird Dove copy with an extra bird on the extra pickguard, banjos, ukes, mandolins, a sweet Hohner accordian, two old Hammond organs and a Danelectro Rumor bass. It all gets played at one point or another by everybody in the house.

Thanks for asking.

Re: Re: Peter: your guitars?

Peter

Do you use the clean channel exclusively on the Hot Rod Deluxe or do you switch between it and the distortion channel? How dependable has the amp been for you? They seem to be the silver face Twin Reverb of today as 9 times outta 10 they are the rental amp that venues supply. Beats the heck outta the enevitable JC-120 that a guy used to get stuck with if he relied on house gear(not that the JC120 is a bad amp!).

Was a Fender Champ that Stamey is playing in the photos from the Maxwell's dB's gigs last year? Speaking of CS... I'm thinking about selling my 1963 Jazzmaster and if he still has a thing for them I could make him a good deal.

Re: Peter: your guitars?

Thank YOU.

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View