Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Benefit Concert Alert

Thanks Jake, I was getting ready to do that.

The show is in Chicago, by the way, where Jeff and Karen Beninato have made their outpost since Hurricane Katrina. Their leadership and persistence with NOMRF has made a substantial difference in the lives of many New Orleans musicians, both recipients of grants and players that want to give it back to the city they bloomed in. I have always treasured my friendship and musical partnership with Jeff, but I have never been prouder of the Beninatos' selfless accomplishments and take-charge attitude than with NOMRF.

It will be a superb venue for Dr. John, who has been speaking in his concerts lately about his beloved New Orleans. The members of the all-star funk band are an insanely talented batch of the best of the city's musicians. (Cranston Clements and I got to play together for a couple years in Little Queenie/Leigh Harris' acoustic swing sextet, Mixed Knots, where I got some of the best guitar lessons of my life just keeping up with him!) Among them is Craig Klein, a superb trombonist with both Harry Connick, Jr.'s orchestra and the hard-edged Bonerama--he, too, deserves a shout-out for his Arabi Wrecking Crew who have been gutting musicians' homes. Plus the multi-faceted Mike Mills from R.E.M and John Stirratt from Wilco who grew up and lived among us in the Crescent City for many years will be in for some tunes as well.

It's almost been a year since the storm that overthrew so many lives. If I've learned anything by visiting New Orleans since the hurricane, it's that the spirit of the people there is what's getting stuff done for the needy and the hurting and the homeless. It certainly isn't the city fathers, nor the federal government. People like Karen, Jeff, Craig and hundreds of others are taking the lead and helping the people most affected who are otherwise not getting the help they need.

Please please please help spread the word on this concert.

Sincerely,
Peter

NOMRF.org

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View