Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Steve Wynn on last night's show

Steve Wynn posted the following on last night's show on his Myspace blog:

Saturday, January 13, 2007

STANDS FOR DECIBELS

You just can't predict the future (or, as Yogi Berra once said, "the past ain't what it used to be.") When I was an impressionable new-wave playing, rhetoric-studying, deejaying record-store clerk/college student, there were few bands that I dug more than the dBs. My buddy/guru Ray Farrell at Rather Ripped records (yes, that's the reference point on the last Sonic Youth album) turned me onto the "Summer Sun" single by Chris Stamey and the dBs. That led me to the eventual purchase of all things from the North Carolina axis of Stamey, Peter Holsapple, Will Rigby, Sneakers, Mitch Easter as well as the music of Hoboken, where some of those musicians relocated and ended up playing regularly at Maxwell's. Ah, Hoboken! It represented a mythical musical mecca while I read New York Rocker and imagined what it would be like to actually see a show in that club someday.

25 years later—I've played Maxwell's dozens of times and, in fact, that's where I met Linda Pitmon in 1992 when her band Zuzu's Petals opened for my "Dazzling Dispay"-era combo. I've toured with Peter (when he was in the Continental Drifters), been on stage with Will (he replaced Johnny Hott in Gutterball for our last two shows) and made records with dBs bass guitarist Gene Holder (he engineered "Sweetness and Light" and Chris Cacavas' "Anonymous.") But even with all of that demystification, I was as giddy as a teenager last night at the Bowery Ballroom when the original dBs lineup played their first New York City show since in 25 years. The room was packed with other excited fans—all about the same age and, thus, all with similar stories, I'm guessing.

What can I say? It was amazing. They played everything a fan could have wanted to hear, managed to both duplicate everything perfectly AND add the spark and skill that comes from 25 additional years of experience, touring and that random element of absence which supposedly make the heart and ears grow fonder. If you were there, you know what I mean. If now, you should track down the band's debut album "Stands For Decibels" or check out their website—www.thedbsonline.net

I wonder what they'll sound like in 2032.

Re: Steve Wynn on last night's show

Yes Yes Yes. It was so good I'm speechless. have two bad pics up flickr: search dbs as tag

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View