Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pianosaurus question for Peter

It's a really great album--I'm especially fond of "(A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the) Toy Store." Still in print and definitely worth picking up.

Big congrats on son #2, Adrian!!!

Jack

Pianosaurus was an amazing band I saw at Folk City one night. They played all toy instruments, and I'm venturing a guess that they'd been doing some drinking before and during the show. They fired their guitarist during the set and then finished the show in a noisy little storm, destroying their instruments at the end. "It doesn't matter, we'll just go to Toys R Us tomorrow and buy new instruments." I was convinced I needed to get in on the ground floor of this operation.

We did a couple records together, an ep for New Rose in France and two albums for Rounder. The second album was never released, unfortunately, as the leader of the band made off with the tapes and never turned in the mixes to Rounder. Ken Irwin never fails to mention the fact that it's the only record Rounder has never received from an artist.

The album that's available is called "Groovy Neighborhood" and it's pretty representative of the band's scope. There are gentle, Spoonful/Critters-like songs interspersed with covers of John Lee Hooker and the Box Tops. I've never heard it on CD, but I'm sure it favors the high end. (James McMillan, the engineer, and I would pump AC/DC tracks really loud at the end of session days so that we could experience a little bottom in our day.)

We toured France one time, with me on spare toy guitar. It was crazed and hectic, and one night we were trapped in the youth center where we'd played since the local teens were rioting in the streets. We played before Doctor and the Medics at the TransMusicale festival in Rennes and barely escaped with our lives from that. The French, for all their appreciation of Jerry Lewis and genius American things, were not ready for Pianosaurus.

Bianca "Bob" Miller, the Pianosaurus keyboardist, has gone on to make a name for herself in film and performance art. Steven Dansiger, the drummer, has played with Maggie Estep although his current whereabouts are unknown to me, as are those of Alex Garvin, the leader of the band.

It was quite an experience working with these talented folks. I'm very proud of the album that came out and wish like hell that the second album, which showed the band growing in leaps and bounds, would eventually see the light of day.

Hope that answers a few questions, and congrats on the new baby!

Thanks for the info and anecdotes.I'm definitely going to check them out.Is the lp available through Amazon?
And a big heartfelt thanks on the congratulations!!
Your friend on the "other side",
Adrian

Re: Re: Pianosaurus question for Peter

I had no idea such an album existed. After reading this post I of course found a used copy on amazon (there are some on ebay too). It's great! Catchy, funny little songs with serious arrangements. Great production Peter!

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View