Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dog fits

Hi there...haven’t been into the form for a long time but feel we need to let you all know about our big boy Murphy.
3 weeks ago at around 2 in the morning Laura and I was wakened to a loud thump in the living room.
We both rushed thru and found Murphy who is only gone 7 laying on the floor Taking a fit....he also ripped off his dew claw as he was half way under a small table and we think with all the running movements off his legs he has caught the claw off one of the table legs.
At first we were shocked to see him foaming at the mouth and doing all the swimming like things with all 4 legs.
We both thought we would lose him there and then...but after about 5 mins or even less which felt like hours he stopped and got up or should we say we helped him back up onto his feet.
Then he just started to walk about for a while like he was in a trance...about after 30mins we kind off had him back.
Well that was 3 weeks ago and on Wednesday night...Murphy again had another at 11pm and then again at 3am.
Time for the vet now as we both thought the first one was a one off and we both hoped it was but we were wrong.
We had a blood test done and had the results back the same day....Murphy does not have epilepsy as at 7 he is too old to have that.
He has no sign off liver, kidney or internal problems and we were told he is a healthy dog really.
But...and there is a but.
We both are sad to say that it’s a Brain problem.
Murphy has now been prescribed Phenobarbitone 60mg...1.5 tablets 2 times a day.
We both have done a lot off research on Google about the fits and about the medication.
And a lot of sleepless nights as we are waiting on the next time he has one.
Witnessing the fit is a traumatic thing to watch even thou Murphy we are told is not aware nor is he is in any pain...it’s the owners who are upset and are in shock just watching the uneventful moment.
The big man hasn’t had another fit since that dreadful Wednesday night..... but the medication we are not happy about and we have decided not to give him 1.5 tablets 2 times a day as its turning our friend into a zombie....so he gets 2 tablets a day....and even at that we are not happy.
The medication won’t cure him but it will ease the fits when and if he has one.
It’s going to be a long journey now for us all and many discussions to make along the way....hopefully we make the right ones.
We both thought we had to let you all know in case other owners have to go thru the same thing.

Robert And Laura

Re: dog fits

We have a friend whose grey has fits. It took a wee while but the vets got a dose sorted and Sammy is doing ok. I hope Murphy gets sorted! Our thoughts are with you and Murphy.

Michele

thats good news Michele and thanks for the kind words

Hi there - my Greyhound Wallace had vaguely similar issues, have you considered MRI scan? has the vet considered mengingitis or addisons disease...Wallace was only diagnosed with chronic meningitis after MRI............thank god for pet insurance!

Now on a Chemo drug and tapering steriods/anti convulsants - 5 months recovery

Hi Robert and Laura,
We're so sorry to hear about big Murphy. Give him one of our cuddles.
We're not sure that greyhounds over 7 can't have epilepsy. However, reasonable news is that it is not too uncommon for a dog to fit - so fingers crossed.
Please read Ailsa's post on January 7, 2010. She has gone through this with Nipper, her dog. She is a very nice lady.
Good luck with Murphy, our big pal.
Celia and Jimmy.

Hi Robert & Laura
We are sorry to here about Murphy. We will keep our fingers and paws crossed for him.
I have put a link to the thread that Celia and Jimmy mentioned hope it is of help.

Click here for the Thread Celia and Jimmy mentioned

George, Morag, Billy & Lassie

Thank you for all for the good advice and warm thoughts.... we are going back to the vets in 2 weeks to talk about his situation and we will mention all that has been said to us in the forum.
So we both will keep you all up to date with Murphy’s progress and thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Dear Robert & Laura,
I agree with Celia and Jimmy that epilepsy could perhaps happen after 7 years of age - I had a golden retriever (Ricky) who was diagnosed about that age and it was controlled quite effectively with medication. It's the scariest thing when it first happens so you (and Murphy) have my total sympathy. Apparently they don't remember anything about it afterwards, but it must place strain on their heart and muscles at the time.
Mr Ricky went on to live happily for several years and it was arthritis, or rather the new medication he received for it, that finally caused his brave heart to give up, not the epilepsy.
Can you think of any unusual happening that might have triggered it?
I wish you all well.
Marion

Hi Marion,
Celia and Jimmy could be right but when the vet phoned us about the results of the blood test she said Murphy didnt have epilepsy.
And there was no unusual happening that might have triggered it the first night.
The medication has him whining a bit more and he is aways hungry and tired.
When he is having a fit its his body temperature you have to worry about as well as the dog uses a lot of sugar up during the fit so we have a fan on standby.
When Murphy had his second fit on wednesday night Laura witnessed the stages of the fit.. the chatter of his teeth and changes in his eyes and then he collasped to the floor then the movements started and foaming at the mouth. you can but put your faith in the vets.. as you know they are not always right,we just have to hope that the medication does its job.. only time will tell..... fingers and paws crossed eh ! thanks everyone again for your kind and helpful words.

So sorry to hear yor news - it's not easy dealing with your dog being so unwell.

Just before we adopted our first pair of greys the boy fell seriously ill. He lost his sight and a huge amount of weight - he literally looked like a bag of bones. Knowing we were on the verge of adopting him (we had sponsored them and walked them for two years before whilst living in a rented flat and unable to adopt) the rescue kennel and the vet pulled out all the stops to bring him back from the brink. It turned out his optic nerves had failed, but he responded to steroid treatment - a treatment he needed for the rest of his life. We took him home when he was seven. He had five happy years with us, to the astonishemnet of the kennels and the vet.

Whilst this does not relate directly to Murphys condition I do feel it shows the huge difference that your love, faith and perseverence will make. I hope he makes a full recovery and leads a long and happy life with you.