Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Facebook

Hi Kaz,

A great reply. Nobody is trying to tell people not to use Facebook if they want to, but please do post on the forum as well.
Those of us who, like me, do not use social media find the forum of great interest, and I for one have received a lot of helpful information through it.

And for the record, I love the Newsletter too!

Best, Jo

Thanks Jo x

I have to admit that I have been remiss for not watching the forum with the same regularity. Life seems to get busier and busier and trying to find the time is the challenge. Its all about ease of use and convenience.

I built a simple website for the Residential Care Home I am a Trustee for. We decided to incorporate Facebook and Twitter into the website to try & appeal to a wider audience. This allows people to post photos and view news topics via various Social Media links and see it on the website too.

Its also configured for phones & tablets, which is very important in this day & age. I think the GRF website is configured fairly well ... maybe just the forum isn't.

Perhaps just some 'modernisation' would help although I don't see that as a solution to all the points raised.

I think George raises a very valid point about posting photos on the forum. It w/b great if there could be a simple 'attach photo' button so that this could be done instantly rather than having to contact John or use Photobucket, etc.
I wasn't aware of the problems of using mobile devices to interact with the Forum (I am a dinosaur who still uses a desktop) but this is another area that might enhance the experience and encourage more use.
Like George, the website is my daily GRF fix between precious Monday hound-walking visits. I like it just as it is but maybe a few tweaks could help. Would they be possible John?

5 people have replied out of 1291 facebook group members.
John is correct.
He has been our webmaster for 11 years and does magnificent work.
He deserves encouragement from a lot more than 5 people.
Had it not been for him you wouldn't have had your greyhound.
Realistically we have about 30 real members out of 1291.

Jimmy .... spot on. We only have Sox & Shadow because of the information on the website.

However, the exposure of Facebook & Social Media cannot be underestimated & has the potential to reach a huge audience & many more possible Forever Homes for these amazing hounds.

I'm going to go a bit off track here, but may aim is to help.

Check this page of Yahoo Finance (obviously a Global website) which has been seen by many thousands of people today
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ziyen-inc-sponsors-scottish-junior-223312616.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Our son, Mark, is a member of a young Junior curling team and through a company in California, they have been offered the chance of Social Media exposure in Scotland, UK, Sweden, Switzerland, Canada, USA and China. Do they need this exposure? Probably not but its got them a few sponsors (including Fitbit). Its an experiment by the advertising company to prove thousands of people will "Like" their Facebook page even if they know nothing about curling.

They got 1,100 "Likes" on a single post last week.

Why do I say this? Well, with the right input from people that know what they are doing, you can reach out to thousands of people in your chosen area (i.e. Fife, Lothian, Tayside).

Unfortunately, that's about as far as my knowledge goes right now .... but I'm working on it.

I think both the Forum and the FB group have their place. FB gives wide exposure to a large number of people. The Forum gives detailed information to those seriously thinking of greyhound adoption or volunteering. The Forum is very easy to use and John has done a great job with it. The exception is adding photos to your post. That is the main reason why I use FB more than the Forum. I like to see photos of other people's dogs and I like to post photos of mine. Would it be possible to have a facility like FB's where you click on a camera sign to add a photo?
(By the way I always read the Newsletter - it's interesting.)

I love checking the forum there are so many useful tips here and it's lovely to read everyone's stories about their hounds, I would say I check the FB page for last minute updates for walks etc. I think that each one has a place. I also read the newsletter every month, it's fun.

Keep up the good work, it is greatly appreciated!

I haven't been on much as I used to but I'm organising my wedding so hope I'm forgiven willow is bridesmaid and we making mummy and daddy official hehehe txxx

What lovely news Gill! I hope you have a wonderful day! I'm sure Willow will make a beautiful bridesmaid.

Best, Jo and Kitty

SO pleased for you both, and Willow will make a wonderful bridesmaid

Bootsie was the ring-bearer at our Civil Partnership - it was, as it will be for you, a very special day.

Congratulations xxx

Thank you jo and Susan soon as all bills are paid and stress levels back to normal I will be butting in again hehehehe xxx