Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UPDATE OF OUR BEAUTIFUL SPOT

Thank you everyone who has left a message about Spot, it has been very comforting. I did a long reply to Celia and Jimmy's post last week, then due to the stress of Spot's illness, I lost the post somehow, while reading it over, sorry Celia and Jimmy.

At the moment, things are very sad here. Spot has got a lot worse in the last few days, with a hacking cough and choking and we think the time has come now, so we are going to the vets tomorrow to see if she agrees. We are heartbroken.

We decided to take him to the Dick Vet last Monday, as I was so scared that the 2 diagnosed tumours on his heart would burst, if that was what they were. The vet was not sure if that was what they were and the only way they could be positive was to do a biopsy on them and they were not happy to do that, and that they would need to be done at the Dick Vet. We wanted to find out it there was anything at all that could be done for him, or if there might be any hope at all.

They did loads of tests on him and drained almost 4 litres of fluid from around his chest area, to ease his breathing, then he had a CT scan done. Nothing showed up in any of the tests they did, but they did say he did not have 2 tumours on his heart, they were just fibrous tissue.

They are 98% sure that he has a cancer, either a Mesothelioma, which is very rare and has no cure, or a carcinoma somewhere else. They did say they could do some things which might extend his life a little, but seemed very invasive to us, biopsy to see what kind of cancer he has, drains put in to drain the fluid which keeps on coming back, chemo etc, but the consultant oncologist said that he had had enough already and was very anxious when he was in the Dick Vet and had to be sedated. He said it was up to us to decide how we should proceed.

The cost of the tests he has had done so far, were estimated to be between £2,000 to £3,000, and nearly £400 at our vets, but we would have paid anything to get him a cure, but we know that nothing is going to cure him now and we do not want to put him through any more tests, as he is scared enough already when he has the coughing and choking episodes and cannot get his breath vey easily.

I have been sitting by his side constantly for the last 3 days, as I want to spend every last second with him that I can, to comfort him and I have been lying on the couch next to his bed all night, as that is when his choking attacks are at there worst. I just don't want him to be alone, in case he is scared. Carrie our little girl greyhound, wakens up every time he coughs and looks so worried for him. She was so happy to see him, when we all went to pick him up from the Dick Vet. She licked his face all over when she saw him.

We are dreading tomorrow, but know it is in his best interests. He keeps on putting his little paw out to be held, which he has always done, since we got him from the kennels. That is how he got adopted, when we went to pick up Squeek. As we were about to leave, after signing the adoption papers, he put his paw through his cage and wrapped it around my ankle, so he had to come with us, I just could not leave him behind. He does it still, every time we pass his bed and now it is so heart breaking to see.

Can someone maybe tell me how to post photos on here, as I have taken so many of wee Spot, over the last week or so, but do not know how to put them on here.

Thanks again everyone for your good wishes and comfort. We really appreciate it. xxx

Re: UPDATE OF OUR BEAUTIFUL SPOT

We have been following Spots illness with such sadness and how he has kept his character even though he is poorly is a tribute to your beautiful boy.

To help you post pictures this is a link to Michele's post on what's involved. If you feel that is a bit much you can email John the webmaster the pictures and he will post on your behalf.

Michele's post on uploading pictures

Thinking about you at this difficult time
George, Morag
Ace & Chelsea

Poor Spot. And poor you. My thoughts are with you all at this very difficult time.

Such sad news. Thinking of you all. X

There are no words, other than we are thinking of you and the beautiful Spot :cry:

Love & hugs,
Susan, Mo & Bootsie xxx

Aww Liz and Richard I can't even imagine the hurt and pain your both going through but you both sound amazing people and have given your furry babies an amazing life some dogs don't even get one day of happiness yours sound as though they had a fab life lots of love to you both gill john and willow xxxx