Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ginger the Wonder Girl.

Hi Ruth
Might be a silly question, but have corns been ruled out as a potential cause of poor Ginger's limping? Many vets miss this and the discomfort can be excruciating for our poor hounds. Just a thought. Good luck x

My greyhound, Foxy, suffered with osteoarthritis aged 13+ and did well on Galliprant although the efficacy plateaued after a while. She had Seroquin as a joint supplement and, latterly, Tramadol for extra pain relief.
I can only say that, from my experience, I was led by Foxy as to how much or little exercise she would have. On good days she tottered happily round the village, meeting her adoring public and sniffing every scent mark along the way. On bad days we just went slowly along the drive and back, playing "catch the biscuit" as a distraction. I honestly think you will know when her pain level exceeds her wish to move about and engage with life, as you clearly love her.
A word of warning, when Foxy was ready to die, she became quite restless and wanted to keep walking, despite the pain. Apparently it's not uncommon but I only found that out later and probably kept her going a day or two too long. We wish you well and understand your distress.

Thanks for lovely replies. I had another trip to the vet and (spot on Linda) there is a small corn on one of her pads. The vet discussed ketamine injections and a newer one with less side effects. I opted for the newer one on a monthly basis to see if it helps. She is ok with the germolene being rubbed into the corn and no running around for a week or so. Really boring round the block walks. I hope this makes a difference. Ruth and Ginger xx

Hi again Ruth. Fingers (and paws) crossed that the new treatment gives Ginger some relief from her pain. If the corn continues to contribute to the problem, you might like to look at a Facebook group called "Greyhounds with corns" (yes, there does seem to be a group for every conceivable affliction!). They have lots of great advice for tackling the pesky things from bathing to surgery. It was invaluable for my late "corn boy".