The Message Board for The Loincloth Site
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Small Loincloth Dictionary

Hi,

I permitted myself to create a small dictionary on loincloths that can -- and should -- be expanded. It is very small and probably not totally correct. Please comment and correct. Maybe we can turn this into a loincloth wiki :)

The dictionary is accessible at http://members.chello.at/~diogenes/small_loincloth_dictionary.pdf as a PDF.

Re: Small Loincloth Dictionary

Looks good so far! I'll let you know if I think of anything to add.

I'll appreciate your input

Your Mediterranean one is called a subligaculum and was the official undergarment of the Roman empire. Basically a brief cut style. T-shaped, it fully wraps up the butt, ties in the front above the crotch with a long central flap (the bottom of the T) passed from the back to the front, under and over the ties to hang in the front. Often belted in place over the garment.

The ancient Egyptians had a similar kind of garment. I'm not sure of the name, but it's basically the subligaculum but in reverse (tied in the back and pulled between the legs front to back) and triangle in shape.

Hi,

I used the term, "Mediterranean" deliberately, as to my knowledge, "subligaculum" means underwear in a very general sense so that modern boxer briefs would fall under "sublicagulum," too - and they're definitely not loincloths. (See Subligaculum at Wikipedia.)

As for the Egyptian "reverse" variant, I'll try it out. Do you have evidence for the Egyptian one? I really liked to see it :)

Any suggestions for improvement?

It's really cool that you took time to write this up. ^_^
Thanks for the contribution to the site.

Thanks, Martin!

I appreciate your appreciation, but it would nice if someone could correct me where I'm wrong and add something that>'s missing and he knows. As I said in the original post, if it get's too large, we could set up a wiki, but for this, I need data :)

Could you recommend a good PDF converter so that I could see your dictionary? I am very interested in it.
Thank you.
Bill Bramham

I think the good old original Adobe reader should do it, or do you want to edit the PODF?

I tried everything with no luck. Could you possibly send me a direct link?

Thank you.

Bill

P.S.

I have Windows 10. My computer is less than 2 years old. I am very resourceful at internet searches. I keep getting alerts that the website doesn't exist.

Small Loincloth Dictionary

It's as direct as possible, not even dynamic HTML.

Thank you very much. It worked. I have bookmarked it. I have absolutely no idea why I was having such trouble with it before.

Re: Small Loincloth Dictionary -- New Release

Hello,

I changed the layout, removed some typos, and added a preface. Link: http://members.chello.at/~diogenes/small_loincloth_dictionary.pdf

Nicely done! The formatting looks good, and the intro is nice too.

(And obligatory clickable link: http://members.chello.at/~diogenes/small_loincloth_dictionary.pdf)

Thanks!

As usual, corrections and suggestions are welcome :)