Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
MY BIG BOY LEO IS NOT VERY WELL

Hi folks, can you all pray for my beautiful big boy Leo, who is 12 next month. He started limping on his right leg a few weeks ago, for no obvious reason. We took him on holiday in September, to Lewis in the Western Isles, with his best friend Carrie, our beautiful girl hound. His limp got worse very quickly and we had to take him to the only vet on the island, the day before we were due to go home, as we were very worried about him. They gave him an injection and Loxicom. We made an appointment with our own vet before going home, so he could be seen again very quickly, as he was not getting any better. He was given Metacam and we were told he probably had arthritis in his shoulder joint. We had to go back again this week, as his limp was getting worse and he was given Tramadol tablets as well to take, but this has not helped either. In desperation, we are taking him back again this afternoon, as we are very worried about him. His back legs are very wobbly also, but have been like this for a long time now, but this did not hold him back from being his boisterous and happy self. When he was walking, he was fine, but as soon as we stopped to maybe talk to someone, his back legs would go down. I am so sad for him, as he is such a lovely gentle and good natured big boy. He is still seems happy with life and loves his food. He still wants to go on walks, but just cannot walk very far now at all, because of this limp. He loves to lie in the garden in the sun, on his memory foam mattress, under his sun umbrella and in his doggy tent. The neighbours all have a laugh when they see him lying in the garden, with all his sunbathing equipment around him, while Mummy sits on an old rickety chair. We are dreading what the vet is going to say today, so please keep your fingers crossed for our big beautiful boy. We really want to know what is causing this limp and not just keep on giving him drugs that do not seem to be helping him get pain relief. Carrie our beautiful girl hound knows that something is wrong with her best friend. She got out of her bed this afternoon and lay down beside Leo in his bed, not for very long though, as she likes her own space too much! Liz, Richard, Carrie & Leo xx

Re: MY BIG BOY LEO IS NOT VERY WELL

So sorry to hear about Leo, and hope the limp is something that can be sorted out and not just further joint deterioration. My aged gent, Kim, (13.5 yrs) is also suffering from arthritis. He no longer runs or attempts stairs, easily loses his balance, and needs a punt-up into the car but he can still break into a trot on level ground and, like Leo, adores his food and still looks forward to walks. We have him on Synoquin (basically EFA plus an anti-inflammatory), which is helping a bit but I know we're fighting time.
The thing about ex-racers is that, like all competitive athletes, they put their joints under huge stress and this stores up problems for later life. It's something we have to be prepared for with greyhounds. Some are lucky and live to a ripe old age without problems, others are less fortunate and develop bone tumours, but most (in common with humans and many other large dog breeds) will develop arthritis in the longer term, and it's so hard to see that beautiful athlete gradually turning into a cripple.
We are thinking of you and hope the vet diagnoses something that can be treated to rectify Leo's limp. Please do keep us posted on progress.
Best wishes to you all,
Marion

What a worry for you. I hope the vet can find something to help Leo

Hi Richard and Liz. We remember the day we delivered both of them to your lovely home in Pencaitland. We hope and pray that big Leo the Lionheart recovers and lives in your happy home for years yet.
Please give them both huge cuddles from us.
Prayers will be sent up tonight.
Jimmy and Celia.

Thinking of you all, Leo in particular ... hope the visit to the vet went ok, keep us posted.

Big hugs from Bootsie (and us) xx

Lots of prayers for leo...

Our girl is only 5 but dread the day that comes for us be strong think positive xxxxx gill john and willow xxx

Thank you all for your best wishes for Leo. The vet increased his painkillers to 3 a day and he has to go back again tomorrow morning to be x-rayed and to have some fluid taken from one of his joints. He has been a very happy boy all weekend and full of fun, even though he must be in a lot of pain. He is a big brave beautiful boy and we are so proud of him. I will let you all know how he gets on tomorrow. Liz, Richard, Carrie & Leo xx

Hi again folks, I forgot to mention that if you would like to see what Leo looks like he is on Page 56 of The Lucky Ones, 28th June 2011). Carrie is also on the same page. Liz, Richard, Carrie & Leo.

He's a good looking boy - fingers crossed for a positive outcome

And Carrie's a sweet looking little girl too.

Thank you Steve for putting their photos on the forum, it has really brought a smile to our faces, seeing them there. Isn't Leo such a happy looking boy? He still does not look a day older than when he came into our lives. They are our pride and joy. Carrie has turned into the most loving, happy big girl, who loves being cuddled and stroked. She is so funny when she is relaxing, lying on her back with all 4 legs in the air, mouth wide open and her big tongue hanging out to the side. Not very ladylike, but very, very funny! Liz, Richard, Carrie & Leo xx

Re: VERY SAD NEWS ABOUT OUR BIG BOY LEO (Droopy's Lion)

It breaks our hearts to let you know folks, that our darling big boy (Leo), had to be put to sleep today, after having his x-rays done.

The vet phoned us to let us know the very bad news that Leo had bone cancer in his right leg and that there was nothing could be done to help him get any better. He said the leg could break at any time and then Leo would have been in extreme pain. So we had to make the decision that was best for Leo, as we could not stand seeing him in such pain. It was the hardest thing we have ever had to do as a couple, but now Leo is out of his severe pain, but Mummy and Daddy are dying inside.

When we got the news, we drove straight to the vets, where Leo was still dopey from the anaesthetic, but managed to lift his head up twice to look at us, with his big beautiful eyes. We cuddled and kissed him and told him how much we loved him. We thanked him for bringing such fun and happiness into our lives and we stroked him and held his paw, until he slipped peacefully away. The last look we had of him, was the same as the first look we saw of him on the website, a majestic looking big boy, with big sparkly eyes and one ear sticking up.

I do not think we will ever stop hurting about losing him. The pain is just horrendous. He was my 3rd dog, but my first Greyhound, but the pain is just as bad as the first time I went through this. There is something so special about Greyhounds and they just melt your heart.

Leo was Richard's 1st ever dog, so has never felt the pain of losing a beloved pet before. At least I can cry and grieve in private, as I am at home with Carrie, who knows that something bad has happened to her friend. Unfortunately, poor Richard had to catch a plane at 3pm today, to South Africa, where he has to take a course this week. I do not know how he is going to cope doing that, with the pain and distress that he is feeling today. He is going to need all the strength in the world to get through this week. Leo was his best friend and was devoted to his Daddy.

We will never ever forget our big beautiful boy and the love he gave to us. Rest in peace Leo, until we meet again with you at Rainbow Bridge. Love you forever, from your heartbroken Mummy, Daddy and girlfriend Carrie xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks folks for all your kind and caring words. It is a great comfort to know that people care so much and know exactly what we are going through just now and understand our sorrow. Thanks to you all.

So sorry to hear your news.

So sorry to hear this news.
I have posted on the Rainbow Bridge Calendar thread to remember Leo.

Click hear to see post on the rainbow bridge thread for Leo

Thinking of you all

George, Morag

Billy & Lassie

Sorry to hear your news- thinking of you x

Very sorry to hear your bad news. You know you did the right thing for Leo but that doesn't make it any less heart breaking. Thinking of you both.

What a beautiful tribute to a lovely dog. It brought tears to my eyes.

You have so many happy memories and I hope in time they take over from the sadness.

So sorry to hear this. Rest In Peace Leo.

What a beautiful tribute to your wonderful boy - I am sitting here crying.

Mo & I have been through a lot with our boy, Bootsie, recently and he is fine again at the moment. I just hope that when his time comes we can be as brave as you were, and do what is best for him.

We are so sorry for you both, and Carrie. Poor Richard - this will be a difficult time for you both, particularly as you have to be apart at the moment.

Leo is running free now over the Rainbow Bridge ... he knows how much you loved him, and he loved you too.

There is just nothing we can say to make you feel better - sending hugs to you all,
Susan xxx

Our hearts go out to you - such a sad time.

But Leo is free from pain now and running over that bridge. He will always be looking down on you so remember the good times and the love you all shared.

Thinking of you all

Kaz, Pat, Ace and Jade xxx

So sad to hear about Leo. He will be running free over the bridge now. Bone cancer is such a horrible horrible disease. Sending all our love.
Nic,Michele,Tara and Frodo.

I'm so sorry to hear about Leo. We lost our girl Goldie to osteo (bone cancer) and it is such a cruel heartless disease. You have done the kindest thing you possibly could for Leo.

Thinking of you all,
Michele

Hi Folks.
You have our deepest, deepest sympathy. We are so sorry for you when we read the post. We recognised the symptoms since we lost our beautiful Jake and then Madam to leg bone cancer. Madam died just before Christmas. Nothing in the world can ever replace them. Only time finally makes it bearable.
Our advice is to remember the many, many happy times you had with him and not to think about the black day.
He came to us from Nottingham, never having been in a home and you turned his life around making him the happy boy that he was. He cannot now, but we thank you for doing that for the beautiful big boy. I'm sure that he's looking down from Rainbow Bridge right now nodding his head in agreement.
You were the perfect Mummy and Daddy and he knew it.
Run free big Leo your legs are young again.
Please give Carrie a huge cuddle from us.
Uncle Jimmy and Auntie Celia.

Thank you so much for your comforting words Celia and Jimmy. You know exactly how bad we are feeling today. Poor Richard is in the air at the moment, on his way to South Africa to work this week. It was the hardest thing in the world for him to leave Carrie and I today, just 3 hours after our beloved boy went to the Rainbow Bridge. Lots of people on the Forum have sent us messages, which we are very thankful for, as they will help us in the coming months to come to terms with what has happened to Leo so suddenly. He was the most wonderful dog you could ever meet, but of course we all say that about our lovely hounds, don't we! I feel like I will never stop crying over him. I have cried all day since he died at around 12 noon. He had the loveliest personality and had us in fits of laughter most days. Even last night, he managed to steal Carrie's sardines out of her bowl, before she could get to them. He loved them and had them at least 3 or 4 times a week, after his normal dinner, as a treat.

We cannot thank you enough for allowing him to come and live with us Celia and Jimmy. He has brought so much happiness into our lives, and I know that we gave him all the love and happiness that he deserved to have in his forever home. His ashes will be coming back to us, so that he will always be in his forever home with us and never forgotten. THANKS ALSO TO EVERYONE WHO HAS LEFT A KIND MESSAGE FOR US ON THE FORUM, WE REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR SUPPORT AT THIS VERY SAD TIME. Liz, Richard & Lonely Carrie xxxx

Dear Liz and Richard,
Try not to be sad, it's not what Leo would want for you. He would want you to celebrate the lovely times you had together and would thank you for his happy life in retirement, and for being so responsible and caring when he needed you to spare him from more pain.
I promise you that, one day, you will be able to look back and just smile. Carrie will help you do that. Leo was a very lucky boy to have such a loving family.

God bless you - we know what this pain feels like. Blessing you were with him at the end - our thoughts are with you. XXX

So sorry to hear about your lovely Leo. Thinking of you.

Pamela & Tilly x

Our thoughts are with you at this sad time ...we have gone through this trauma many times.......best wishes from ...DUKE ( Droopys Ben ) .....Sally ( Seal The Peach )......John & Janice Mackay

Hi Janice and John, thank you for your kind message. It has been a week now and the pain of losing him is not getting any better. Richard got back from South Africa yesterday and we have cried together for hours and hours over the last 2 days. We have both decided that the best way we can honour Leo's memory, is to rescue another beautiful big Greyhound, so hopefully we will be doing that very soon. Liz, Richard & Carrie xx

Hi,

Hope you approved of my tribute, to Leo, in this month's Newsletter.

Don't know if you have ever read the piece below - I put it in a Newsletter last year, and think it's beautiful ...

Thinking of you both, and Carrie.

Susan x

"A Dog’s Last Will & Testament

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament , give their home and all they have
to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same thing this is what I’d ask ..

To a poor and lonely stray I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cosy bed, soft pillow and all
my toys; the lap which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that
spoke my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared shelter dog the place I had in my human’s loving heart, of which
there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and pain is more
than I can stand.”

Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, and give my place to
him.

This is the only thing I can give …

The love I left behind."

(Author Unknown)

Dear Susan, thank you so much for that lovely piece. I am crying my eyes out now after reading it. The words are so beautiful and just what Leo would wish us to do, and what we decided over the weekend to do, in memory of him. We are hoping to go this weekend to the kennels, to see if another big angel will pick us to be their new mummy, daddy and sister.

I have never ever seen this piece before, but will keep it forever in a memory box with Leo's photographs. I hadn't read the newsletter this month, so had not seen your tribute to Leo. Would you mind if I sent it to John, to put on Leo's Memoriam page, as he asked me if I wanted his photo on it and I said that I would, but could not find the words to write yet, as I was finding it too painful to do. I wanted to wait until Richard came back from South Africa, so we could write it together. We could not have written anything more beautiful than your tribute to him.

I cannot believe it is a week since we said goodbye to him, I still feel he is here and keep calling his name to come and get his dinner, then remember.

Thank you so much Susan, your tribute and all the lovely messages from everyone on the forum, will help us come to terms with losing our big beautiful boy. Only dog lovers know the pain we have to go through, when we lose our beautiful dogs. Best wishes, Liz, Richard & Carrie xxx

I would be honoured for you to pass it to John to put on Leo's Memoriam page Liz.

I only hope that, when Bootsie's time comes, Mo & I will be able to follow the same advice ... can't even begin to imagine what the two of you are going through, but you are in our thoughts.

Leo was so lucky to have you, and he will be happy to know that you are going to give the same chance to another greyhound.

Thank you for your lovely e-mail.

Susan xx

1 2