Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author
Comment
Re: Booker/Tula

Just back inn from walking them. Tula was happy. Stayed out a while, but just walked slow. Now they are both enjoying a pig ear each,

The dogs are doing fine. Tula is healing nicely, getting a bit too active for her own good. We are still only doing slow walks with her. She keeps trying to climb up on our laps and we keep putting her down. I took her to the vet again yesterday for a postop checkup. For the first time she refused to get in to the car. I had to grab her and lift her in. When we got there, she refused to get out of the car. Again I had to lift her down. However. When we were leaving there were nooooo troubles at all...

I think Booker is a bit bored and restless with the slower and shorter walks at the moment. He seems a bit restless. When we are both home, one of us will take him for a long proper walk when Tula needs to go back inside, but she is getting restless as well wanting to "stay up passed her bedtime"...

The other day after Greg had taken her inside I met another dog owner walking his two dogs. One was a Greyhound and the other a tiny little thing, larger than Chihuahua, just, but smaller than a small Terrier. We have stopped and talked with him before. I asked him if he would be willing to walk with me around the smaller closed in area in the interest of getting Booker used to other dogs. We walked together for about 15 min or so, him on on side of the walkway (in the grass) and me on the other side (also in the grass) Booker were on and off whining an pulling. Parts of the walk he was fine and quiet while other times he would whine, bark and pull. He seemed most interested in getting to the little dog, maybe because it was closer or maybe because it was lunch.... I laid him down once for a couple of minutes (fairly early) after that he would still pull, bark and whine, but with his ears further back and better response. But he forgets quickly...

Today I went away for work. I just spoke to Greg and he told that during the walk today, they wanted to sniff on the same area as they do. Tula had her attention on the grass/Daffodils under Booker. This was when he decided to pee and consequently pee'd all over Tula's head....

She pee's inside the house every day at the moment and I hope it will pass. SOON!!!

I suspect it has to do with the surgery and recovery. At least I hope so. At least she uses the puppy pads we have put out for the time being.

And last, We finally got the wagon we bought up and running so we can now drive them both comfortably.

Hi Guys,

Just wondered how Tula was recovering from her op?

Tula is recovering just fine. We have to slow her down because she wants to walk a lot more and probably run as well.
I am taking her back to the vet for a check tomorrow afternoon, at that time we should also have the results telling us what the cyst's were.

Booker is still a bit wild on the walks and very powerful. We both get sore arms for always having to pull him back. Especially when meeting other dogs. We are not sure how to correct this anymore so we are contacting a professional trainer to sort out his behavioural issues. In the house he is good as gold.

I am so pleased to read that Tula is getting over her op(s) ok.
with regards to your post about pulling on the lead I would certainly recommend "Sharon Bolt's" DVD about rehoming a rescue dog. Here is a link to her
web site which you might find interesting.
http://www.good-dogs.co.uk/testimonials.php

I am also a great fan of of the "Dog Wispered" Cesar Millan. A man of great understanding and super talent with dogs. He can often point out the very obvious things that we do wrong but never noticed ourself.

Booker/Tula

Todays menu:

Turkey joint drizzled with olive oil and roasted on a bed of shallots...

I don't think I have ever seen their bowl licked soooo clean and they will get the rest today.

Almost time to take them out for the afternoon walk. Tula is healing nicely, still a little red but not in any pain. I think the stitches will come out on wednesday morning.

We got new collars and leads for them (again), the proper leather Greyhound collar this time. Green and red.

We like the dog whisperer too and are using some of the ideas. Still a bit difficult to watch dog shows on the telly as they get exited when they hear all the dog noises.

Hopefully we will see you all at the dog show tomorrow.

2nd BEST FAMILY!!! YAHOOO!!!!! (We should have won...)[:-)]

We had a great day out even if the twins were a bit overwhelmed. Lots of stuff going on with all the dogs to check out. Especially those serving as lunch.....

Tula was not really in the mood. She was very calm, but tired quit soon. Poor thing is still recovering a bit.

Booker was the opposite, but even him tired after a while and laid down on the floor. At least he did not roll around on his back like Tula did. And just before best family as well. A mad dash out to get her brushed and looking her best again got us the second place.

After best female we had to take them out t0o the car as they were both tired. They clearly indicated that they only wanted to get in to the car and nowhere else, so we let them have a rest while we went inside for the best in show and raffles. We never won anything...

A great thank you to the judge. We had a couple of long conversations with him and he had some good tips to try out in our obedience training. Next you might see one of us on top of Booker biting him over the nose... (gently) followed by a rush to the bathroom for some desperately needed teeth brushing....

We were pleasantly surprised to discover the GRF xmas card with Booker on the front. The plan were to get some, but we forgot in the shuffle to leave. Must be getting a bit forgetful in my old age...

Booker and Tula hardly moved at all in the time it took us to get home. We even stopped for some food on the way. When we got home we took them straight for a walk. I don't think I have ever seen Booker sooooo wel behaved through out the walk. Hardly interested in anything, not even other dogs.

When we got inside we gave them their dinner. They ate a little bit, but left most.

(We do apologise Madam/Sir for not having roasted turkey joint today..... They went straight to bed and are now snoring away. Do not expect to see them for a while.

It was clear that ours were not the only ones being worn out. Towards the end the floor were littered with passed out Greyhounds. A shame I did not have my camera, it would have made a great picture.

We both enjoyed meeting you all again and Booker and Tula enjoyed meeting/seeing their old friends, carers and sister again. Even if their attention were rudly interrupted by squeaky toys...

Thanks again all for a good day out.

Booker/Tula

I think they are still recovering from yesterday. Last nights walk at about 23:30 was eventless. They did a lot less than usual, maybe for not eating much that evening.

Todays morning walk and afternoon walks went very very well. They seem calmer when we meet other dogs. I don't know if it is still an effect from yesterday.

I was a little concerned this morning when Booker did still not want to eat much. Only about a quarter of normal. Tula ate as normal. However. The pig ear went down after this last walk like there was no tomorrow.

He is still rubbing the muzzle strongly (and rudely) against me wanting it off, but that is improving. I now get him to sit before I take it off. Generally before we go up the stairs. It's like an extra mini award for him... And then we rub him vigorously with flat hands on each side of his face. He loves it. As soon as we get the muzzle off he stretches his neck out awaiting the proper "service" due to him.

Today we walked in to a group of 3 other owners with their dogs, 2 had control, one did not. It was running around being a nuisance. One of the others lifted her dog up (it was very small) to get it away. Of course it came right up to us, refusing to stay away. I held Booker back, but he managed to use his muzzle to knock it on the head. Maybe it just got in the way of him biting the neck, I don't know. More importantly, he did not bark and responded better than before when we walked away. I am proud of him!!!

Now they are sleeping as usual after a walk.

Booker/Tula

Booker got his appetite back. Nothing left in the food bowl. The sardines might have something to do with it. Tomorrow we are roasting the second turkey joint for them. (yes we got two..) Actually it was Greg's idea to get them and roast them to mix with their dry food. They loved it. One joint will last for 2 meals. Maybe we will mix in some Garlic this time...

Booker was back to his usual self and pulling a fair bit on the lead when something got his attention. He seems a little more responsive to correction. I think that maybe we have gotten a bit slack on the discipline while walking. For example when they suddenly smell something and take of towards a bush, tree or a pole, we have let them do that.
We stopped that about 4 days ago, only letting them "investigate" when we decide they can. Booker is responding well to this, or so it seems. We will know more in a few days I guess.

I am sitting in the couch at the moment. Tula think I took her space and she managed to squeeze herself in between me and the armrest, her butt on a pillow and her head on my lap, nose getting in the way of my keyboard...

Tula on my lap

Tula on my lap

Tula's results +++

For a change I have been alone with them for a couple of days. I'll start with this morning at the vet.

TULA IS FINE!!!!! The 3 cyst's that were removed were all benign.

We went in to remove the stitches today. As soon as we got in to the room she laid down in the corner and started some light whimpering. Not too bad at all. He started to remove the stitches while I held her. I was all going surprisingly well until he pinched her lightly at a tender spot...

The next few minute were just one continuous whaling and she was getting more difficult to hold. The decided to get one of the nurses to hold her in the back while I waited in the front. We could hear her cry's for the next few minutes until she stopped. Another few minutes later they came out. The vet said she stopped when suddenly realised that it did not hurt.

WHAT A WHIMP!!!!!!

Back next week for a final checkup of her healing.

Last night when I took them out for their final walk about 23:30 I forgot to put the muzzle on Booker in the excitement of getting ready. I always get ready first before putting on their leads and collar. I try to make sure they are calmed down before I do this and I simply forgot the muzzle and never noticed.

I told you before about a fenced in area of the park where we usually start and end the walks. I was walking through this when I noticed that something had gotten their attention. When I looked I saw a man walking in the area on the other side of the fence. I assumed he had a dog, but could not see it. SUddenly as we were about 20 yards from the gate a large German Shepherd appeared right on the other side of the fence, barking loudly. The owner finally paid some attention to his dog, shouting for it to return, but was ignored. I had stopped. I was really worried that the gate was not locked and that the other dog would push it open. Booker and Tula reacted and started pulling on the leads. I pulled them back. Booker is always the wilder one and was barking and snarling back. He then curved around me and to his sister who immediately put him in his place. I was pulled both out from me and away from each other.

Thats when I noticed that Booker Muzzle was missing. My heart sank while picking up speed. This was when the other owner managed to secure his dog, which gave me time to wonder what how the muzzle had come off during his argument with Tula. I was a year older yesterday and it has clearly taken it's toll.... I did, however, catch up with myself and remembered that I had forgotten...

I turned them around and started a fast walk back. They still needed some correction, but were now manageable. As Booker has a track record of snapping at me at times I made all the correction by pulling him away from me. It worked and we got home without any further incidents.

The first walk this morning started and ended well with a little adventure in the middle. We were on a walkway on top of the hill. A young Labrador at the bottom had seen us and hame trotting up towards us, ignoring her owner who was in hot pursuit. It came up to us and wanted to mingle. Booker was having none of it and kept trying to launch for her. At one point I had him up with my arm around his neck. It was not as bad as it sound, just easier to control that way. The other owner appeared quickly and he was very apologetic, stating that she was just a puppy.

Booker was still a bit disobedient as they walked away, so I "scooped" him up and "dumped" him on his side. I put my hand on his head making him lay down completely. I commanded Tula to lay down, she obeyed, laying her head next to his. He kept trying to raise his head, so I decided to try a tip I received at the show. I leaned over him, grabbed his head and "bit" over his muzzle/nose while looking him in the eyes. I was surprised at the immediate effect. He looked away, turned his head away while for the first time ever since we got them, rolled completely over on his back. I did "bite" again just to emphasise my point before I let them up. For the next three walks he was much easier to control. Hope he remembers this tomorrow.

Last night we had the other turkey joint roasted for them. It's lots of meat on one, so it lasts for a couple of meals. Again their bowl were like a mirror afterwords. This morning they "only" got half a can of sardines mixed in with their food and only ate half. Same as the other day. I think they are getting a bit too picky... I gave them the rest of the turkey this evening and again could use them as mirrors. Tomorrow morning I am only giving them half a portion to start with...

In the house they are both sooo cuddly and affectionate. Booker is the most obedient strangely enough. Tula keeps trying to get up on our lap and we keep saying no. She will put one leg up and as soon as we put it down she will put the other up and so on. This can last for about 5 minutes or longer before she finally gives up and just put her head in your lap.

Have a good night.

Re: Tula's results +++

Happy birthday!!

I love the new photos of Tula.

Soooo spoiled....

Thanks agnes!

They really are spoiled and they are getting picky... This morning we mixed in a sachet of wet food in each of their food trays. They ate about a third....

I guess that compared to the sardines and turkey joint it don't really compare. Who can blame them????

Today we gave them fried lamb heart, cooked with olive oil, onions and a little bit of rosemary. If they could, they would have scraped of a layer of aluminium in order to get every little bit. It is, however, a joy to let them have food that they really like.

On a different note, remember Tula getting pee'd on a while back. Well, this week it happened again. TWICE!!! You would think she would have learned by now. They both tend to want to smell on the same thing and she tends to then move on to under his belly. Booker of course does not care. When he wants to pee, he pee's....

She had a yellowish streak from the top of her nose and down the side.... A big wad of wet grass got it sorted and then some warm water when we got home. AND THEN SHE DID IT AGAIN!!!????....

Two day ago during the afternoon walk I came across a nursery school of disabled kids, both physically (wheelchair) and mentally. As I approached them they showed an interest in Booker and Tula. I stopped and invited them to say hello to the dogs. The teachers and kids were really and exited. AFter having a gooooood look around I decided to take the muzzle of Booker for the occasion. Booker and Tula were marvellous with the kids. Laying their head in the lap of the ones in the wheelchair, licking the rest, in the face if they could. An they were s soooo calm. I really enjoyed the experience as well.

I love the new collar and lead set we got for them (Green and red of course) They are strong and durable and much better than the last ones we got. You can see them in some of the pics below.

Last night I took the with me to the station (Glasgow central) to meet Greg coming back from his 4 days away. They were really happy to see him. I am sure they missed him while he was away. They were well behaved while we were out even if they did not like the floor cleaning machine.

About a week and a half ago I had staid up late. Greg went to bed at a normal time, but I staid up until about 2am. When I came in to the bedroom I could see a pair of white furry legs hanging of the bed. Further investigation revealed a large male Greyhound stretched out along the bed. Head on pillow (mine ) and back to back with Greg. He had not noticed that it was Booker an not me.....

It would have been a good picture....

Booker still likes his wine. Whenever he can get to glass that is not empty and unguarded he will have some.

Bellow are the pics I promise earlier. We found a secluded place in park where they can't see other dogs walking by. This is where we groom them (furminator) and do call back training using a whistle and a 10 meter lead. They love it. We took the muzzle off Booker for the pics, There is also a pic of Booker on the couch. He got up on it as we were going out and was not eager to move and finally a close up of Booker resting on the carpet.

Having a good sniff.
In the park 4

They just want a lick (or 10)
In the park 3

2 of Greg Booker and Tula. They look harmless.....
In the park 1

In the park 2

Booker on the couch.
Booker on couch 1

Last two is Booker resting.
Booker resting 2

Booker resting 1

Thats it for pics.

Finally, Booker was a charm to walk this evening. We were a lot quicker to correct him than we have been and it looks like it is paying off ever so slowly. Tula still tends to pee in the house, but Booker has been good for a while. Hopefully she will stop as she heals completely.

It is about time for us to take them out for the last time. They are in noooo rush, snoozing on the couch and the carpet. We are thinking that the longer we wait, the longer we can stay in bed in the morning...

Last walk

Our last walk was a late one. We were back in about an hour ago. They pretty much went straight to bed.

During this walk we walked right by the same cat twice and close past a Dalmatian. They were both really good on this one. First time when we passed the cat, Booker never saw it, but Tula did. She never made any sound, but she was quite adamant that she was going over to the cat. ( And here I though I'd fed them enough...) Needless to say that was not gonna happen. The cat did not seem bothered and did not move at all. When we came back on the other side of the house where the cat was it had moved a little, so now it was even closer to us. This time both of the saw it. Booker showed some interest, but not much. Tula on the other hand kept pulling on the lead to go over to the cat, even after we had passed it.

As soon as we had passed it we came upon the Dalmatian. I did not see it before we were quite close. I just kept walking, gave them bot some corrections as we walked by and it all went great. Again Tula was the most persistent one. She may not be as wild or aggressive or boisterous as Booker, but she is more stubborn and persistent in her ways.

I was very happy with both of them after this walk. That all. Now I am off to bed as well.

Re: Last walk

Love the pics they both look so happy and content. Glad to hear you are making progess with Booker.

Socialising

Thanks Karen. We focus so much on Booker that it is easy to forget that Tula needs an equal amount of discipline as well. She may not be as rough, but is more stubborn and persistent in her subtle ways.

Today we did our first trial of socialising with Booker. A couple of days ago I met a couple with 3 dogs leaving the park. The dogs were a Japanese Akita, a jack Russell and a female long heard German Shepherd. I approached them because I noticed how well behaved their dogs were and how well they were being controlled.

We had a long conversation and decided to start socialising our dogs together. He suggested that we should do just Booker and his female Shepherd first as that was his most balanced dog. In fact it was extremely balanced. For those of you watching Cesar Milllan's Dog Whisperer, she was the female version of Daddy.

We met this evening around 9. Me with Booker and Kash with the Shepherd. ( I can't remember it's name.

When we met, Booker went crazy at first. Not barking, but constantly jumping towards the other dog and admittedly it was a struggle to control him. (37kg's of muscle ) The other dog completely ignored Booker. Kash told she did not like the energy he projected at the time.

He then asked if he could take Booker which I agreed to. He took the lead off his dog and put on Booker. It was one of those ropes that tightens like a noose about 1cm thick. Don't worry, the Greyhound collar and lead stayed on. He placed his lead above the collar right behind his ears.

When Booker felt his corrections through this lead he objected loudly, but not violently. Kash said he was just objecting as he was not used to this kind of lead and also because he was very sensitive in that area. As I was watching it took him about 2 minutes to get Booker to enter a completely submissive state.

The other dog was still ignoring him. We then did a little bit of walking before letting the two dogs have a sniff at each other. First I kept Booker stable while Kash called his dog to com up behind and smell. Booker kept trying to turn his head around, but accepted my corrections. Then we did the same thing the other way around. Booker only had a quick sniff and then just stood there.

We then did a walk around the park while switching positions and dogs a couple of times. At the end we were standing still talking and Booker laid down on his side with his head on the ground and bothering with the other dog.

As far as I am concerned this was a great success and we agreed to do this again. Probably tomorrow evening.We will do it a few times just with his German Shepherd before he brings his Jack Russell along.... (oh dear... ) and finally the Akita. We might bring Tula with us tomorrow, but we have not decided yet.

For me and Greg it is really nice to have made contact with someone locally with proper control of their dogs and willing walk with us in the park.

It was clear on the last walk today that Booker remembered the "lessons" from earlier in the evening. I look forward to see what tomorrow brings. If I remember I will try to get some pics, but no promises!

Goodnight.

Booker/Tula

Booker still remembered his lessons from last night this morning. We were both very pleased.

WHile on our first walk this morning a woman cycling to work stopped and talked to us. She were fascinated by our two impressive hounds. As it turned out, she and her husband were on their forth Greyhound and not only that, they got the last one from Celia and Jimmy as well. Her name (the Greyhound) was Jenny and they had her since 2008, I think it was November. Of course I have looked her pic up under the lucky ones....

They were also at the dog show last week.

Booker was still good on the the after noon walk, but we still decided to get one of those "slip rope collars" along with some more conditioner for brushing, not to mention some dicd turkey joints that we seasoned and fried for their dinner. Yes we are too lazy to separate it from the bones ourselves... More importantly, they looooooooooooved it.

Again this evening after eating, I took Booker out to meet Kash and his German Shepherd again. As soon as we met he told that her name was Tanja. (He had read my post)

I am amazed at how well Booker is responding to this. To the point where another small dog came up to us and was moving around being curious and Booker was sitting down with his ears back. (with a little encouragement) He is also starting to look at Kash and Tanja as part of his group, looking back several times to see if they were still with us. He did from time to time keep moving towards Tanja and also jumped towards her a couple of times, but carried on walking right away. We will repeat this tomorrow.

We have also noticed another subtle change. It is particular noticeable with Booker. During the last week he has become much more cuddly while in the house. We always thought he were anyway, but it is more now. More often coming up to us, stretching his neck out and wanting to be stroked. We comply of course because he is calm and submissive about the whole thing. He is very loving. Have I said that before?????.....

Here we go again!

We had Tula back to the vet today for another post op check. She went in to the car ok with Booker, but when we got the vet she realised where we were and refused to come out. I had to drag her out of the car. I am happy to say again that all was fine. They had also done another check on her cyst's just to make sure and reported good results.

Last night we did another walk with Kash, Tanya and Nipper. Yes you guessed it, the little (and chubby) Jack Russell.... Booker got a little exited when they walked up towards us, but not too bad. We sat him down and let Nipper come to us. Tanya is still ignoring him. Kash lifted Nipper up and held him so that Booker could get a good smell of him. He was a little jumpy, but mostly calm. As it was a little "cool" we decided to start walking right away. We were all a little cold. The walk went well. We practised different walking positions. At one point Kash was walking both Booker and Nipper.....

This is when Booker seized the moment to go for Nipper. It only lasted a few seconds and Nipper was squealing loudly. He was not hurt at all as we keep Booker Muzzled, he only squealed because he had a big (aggressive?) dog on top of him. Booker got the proper correction from Kash and calmed down in to submission. The rest of the walk went really well.

I can see a marked improvement in him every time we walk. So far we have been out 3 times today and although he still gets a bit edgy when we meet other dogs, he does respond well.

I think Tula is a little jealous, she had pee'd on the carpet when we got in last night., But we walked for one and a half hours and her abdominal muscles are still healing. She has to wait another 10 days before she is aloud to do any running.
Tonight we are taking a brake...

Re: Here we go again!

Great news all is well with Tula and it's fantastic you have found someone willing to work with you to help Booker get used to other dogs. I am enjoying reading about his progress.

Re: Here we go again!

The next step is for him to meet Kahn, Kash's Akita...

WOWOWOWOW

Did I get a surprise today????!!!!!!!

I went out to meet Kash and his dogs again tonight with Booker. Imagine my surprise when I found him with his Akita Khan and not Tanya and Nipper as expected.

I was immediately told that I had spelled Khan wrong in the previous post. I do apologise Kash. Please pass it on to Khan...

Khan is a beautiful dog. Maybe a little boisterous as well, but not as bad as Booker. He is a year and a half old and is a bit like a teddy bear... lol Friendly too.

For the most part Booker kept his ears back, but still tried to jump on him when we got him to smell Khan's behind. We had Booker laying down for Khan to smell him. I worked pretty well. We had a fox following us for a while. Booker saw it several times, Khan never did, but they both smelled it as well. That part of the walk it was almost impossible to keep them focused on the walk, but they remained calm. One small jump at each other during the excitement from the fox and a few small attempts during the walk. We did stop and sit them both down several times during the walk.

All in all I am very pleased with the results. much better than I had hoped for.

I got this picture of Khan from my mobile. It is a bit out of focus, so sorry about that, but at least you get the general idea.

KHAN!
Khan the Akita

I am looking forward to next time. As soon as we got Booker more used to the other dogs, we will bring in Tula as well. Tonight we walked for almost two hours with Khan. As soon as we got in, I took Tula out. Booker wanted to go out again and Greg told me that was whimpering the whole time that we were out. (Only about 25 min)

We still need to wait before we do so long walks with her. She also get tired a lot sooner than Booker does, but as said, she is still healing.

Back again

Sorry I have not posted in a while. Just been too preoccupied and also been away for work a few days.

First off all, they are doing well. Tula is pretty much all healed by now. Booker has responded very well to to additional socialising. We are both really motivated about this.

Of course while I was away Greg had to do all the walking and looking after them by himself. He said that hey were easier to control and better behaved than before.

Over the last few days we have met other people with dogs and instead of avoiding them, we are now going straight to them and stopping for a chat.

Firstly, we met Pauline. Pauline is Kash's fiance and she was out alone with all three dogs: Tanya, Nipper and Kahn. Kahn was on a leash and the other two were not. I would say that this was a great success. Booker still tends to get a little unruly, but not much. He was easy to control and laid still for the most part. Tula was very curious about Kahn. She fixated a bit at first, but relaxed fairly soon. Booker had of course met them all before. Again Tanya for the most part just ignored us all, but she was up having a sniff at Booker a couple of times. Nipper kept a respectful distance and Kahn was a bit bouncy and needed to be kept in check and Pauline was very good at it.

I am really looking forward to next time we go for a walk. I hope it will be all 5 dogs together.

We met a lady with a rather bouncy one year old Labradoodle. We had a long chat and it seemed that the most difficult dog to control was the Labradoodle...

You may remember that I a while back wrote about the first time we walked Booker with a lurcher and a Jack Russell. As you will recall, it was not an easy exercise. 4 days ago I was walking both dogs and I met Maria with the Lurcher. We stopped and talked for a few minutes and decided to do the rest of the walk together. This time it was a lot easier. Booker behaved very well. I laid him down to let the other dog have a sniff at his behind, He allowed that even he needed a little "encouragement" to stay down. Tula was very interested in the other dog to the point where she positioned herself for it to have a good sniff. It all worked very well and I was in a really good mood when I came back inside.

We had a simular thing with a Springer Spaniel as well. Tula just sat down with her ears laid back and let it have a really good sniff all around her. Booker remained calm as I had sat him down. (Yes they both sit on command now although not for long)

I suspect Tula might think she is coming in to heat. It is about the right time for it now.

The heat over the last few days tires them out quickly. We have kept the two middle walks shorter and made the first and last longer. It seems like a good solution.

They both like to eat grass. Does anyone else's dogs do the same? Maybe they want to be a horse... They are certainly big enough...

Tula even positioned herself ones so she could eat "salad" and have a poo at the same time.....

Our bed is off limits, but they still sneak in to it. especially if I am late in to bed... I suspect I might be fighting a loosing battle here...

We also discovered that they like to build their own nest. WHoever is first in to their bed will use the duvet to make a nest for her/himself. We have a large and thick blanket that we put on the bed when we go out. during the night, one of them will drag it out and spend about 5 min + and make a nest and then spend the rest of the night on it.

Finally, Tula still thinks she is a lapdog.....

The pack

We did it!!!!!

We all met up this evening for one and a half hours walk. Booker, Tula, Nipper, Tanya, Kahn, Pauline, Kash and me.

We all really had a great walk. Booker was happy to see Kash again, and also his dogs I think. Tula was a bit more uncertain at first. While Booker just laid down, Tula stuck her tale far between her legs and insisted on standing up. I eventually got her to lay down and I pulled her tale out so she would feel better.

We then started to walk. She adapted rather quickly and was walking well and calmly. Booker needed a little more constant correction at first, but he calmed down as well. We swapped dogs during the walk. Booker and Kahn that is. Tula stayed with me the whole time. I had Kahn for a while Kash had Booker. For the last half of the walk, Pauline had Booker, while I had Tula and Kash had Kahn. Tula and Kahn got used to each other quickly and they walked so close that they were rubbing against each other.

A couple of times Tula moved suddenly and fast towards Nipper. We are not sure of her intentions and we were not about to find out....

Tanya for the most part just ignored all of us. I think she is a bit of a Diva. A real Madam.....

We managed to take a few photos of all of us. They are all below. The plan is to do it again tomorrow evening. We can tell that this is really good for them. It looks like they like this new exercise of walking with other dogs. It is good for all 9 of us I think.

Here are the pics:

Nipper and Booker with Pauline and Kash
Nipper and Booker with Pauline and Kash

The pack
The pack

Nicolai and Kash with the pack
Nicolai and Kash with the pack

Nipper, Tanya and Kahn
Nipper, Tanya and Kahn

I think we make a great pack.

Food

Tula is the most mellow of the two, but also the most stubborn. Normally when they eat they will finish their own and whoever is done first (usually Booker) they will move across to the other bowl. They don't seem to care one way or the other.

That is, unless there is warm turkey on the menu... Booker finished first and moved over to Tula's bowl. She was not having that and gave a sharp growl and he instantly backed off.

If Madam does not want to share, there will be no sharing...

Re: Food

Lovely dogs all of them. I've been reading about the progress you have been making - fantastic!

One pack

The progress is definitively going in the right direction. I have to admit there were times were I wondered if we had taken on too much, but now I am convinced that things are going fast in the right direction.

We were out for another walk tonight. Just me and Kash and the 5 dogs. Booker is doing better and better. He is calm around the other dogs apart from the occasional light "leap". For the most part now it seems to be a competition between him and Kahn as to who can pee the most on the same tree and who can kick up the mot dirt after doing their business... I am stopping this kicking with Booker. If there is any kicking to be done, I am doing it. Straight in to a poopy bag.....

Tula has really warmed up to Kahn. She keeps rubbing up against him during the walk. No friction there anymore. ANd thats only two walks for her so far.

Here we are walking down the walkway. Kahn and Tula in the middle. SUddenly both their noses stopped over a peace of cloth in their path. We were at good pace and they almost stumbled over...

After we finished our walk, they were both looking after Kash, Nipper, Tanya and Kahn as they walked away. I think they are already considering themselves as one pack.

Booker/Tula

Hi!

It has been a while. I have not forgotten... I have been away 6 days traveling the skies of Europe (ash cloud permitting). Greg had sole care during my absence. Of course they both spent the night in bed with him every day. Good thing they don't shed much.

He said they were for the most part really good on all the walks. Booker still tend to go for Tula when he gets too exited. She of course puts him right in his place, bur more importantly, we can snap him out of it almost instantly now.

I was hoping to be able to report no accidents inside for almost 3 weeks, but last to days was a huge setback. Two days Booker peed inside and Tula had a little squirt. (tiny)

Actually it is very good. We are happy with the progress. We know they know so hopefully it will end completely soon.

The other day we had another long walk with Sleet, the lurcher. After we managed to get him and Booker to have a loooong gooood smellover of each other it was brilliant. They did not even seem interested any more. During that walk we also met Pauline with Nipper, Tanya and Kahn. Booker just laid down (in the shade) and ignored them. The most unruly were Sleet and Kahn, Of course to be expected with two males that never met before.

This weekend Greg is in Brussels and I got them for 4 days. As I write, I am undecided as to wether I will make it to the walk tomorrow.

More and more often now we stop and talk to other people with their dogs. They are getting calmer and more used to seeing other dogs. Tula is nooo problem at all. She seems happy to meet other dogs, getting a boyfriend.... Booker is still a bit more "impulsive"

We have also found a closed in ball playing area. It is fairly small, but with tall fences and a gate. I don't think we are supposed to be in there, but we go in on the last walk around midnight (after they pee'd and pooped...) We take the lead off and practise walking, recalling and to sit at a distance using whistle. Still got a bit to go on the sit from a distance. We use the whistle sometimes in the house as well, and come skidding at high speed in to the kitchen.

In the house Tula in particular constantly wants attention and cuddles. Booker is more content to just lay in the same room. If he comes for a cuddle, it does not take long before Tula id down from the couch for some attention as well. Teaching her that she is NOT a lapdog is not working well so far. We have now started to practise standing up, rejecting her as soon as she tries to get up on our lap. It looks like she is slowly learning to just lay her head in our lap or up on the chest in stead. Still a bit to go on that one, but moving in the right direction.

Booker/Tula

Hello again.

It has been a long time since I have written anything, but there has not really been anything new to report.

Things are pretty much continuing in the same ways. They can still get a bit wild, especially with the foxes and squirrels. Booker even went nuts after a little frog the other day....

Apart from a stroke of some sort of stomach bug turning everything in to liquid, we have not had any accidents inside for a while.

Tula had to go to the vet again as had another case of limping. She had stepped on to sharp granules of some sort. According to the vet, it's the type that council puts down in the parks. He said that they were really bad for the dogs and especially Greyhounds as they are tiny with very sharp edges. If one gets stuck between the paws it will work itself in and not out.

It is gone now and she is back home with pain killers and antibiotics. Again....

Greg has been taking care of all this as I am away with work for a week.

Nico & Windsor

Hello again.

I wanted to share to pics of two Whippets that I had on my flight yesterday. We were flying a brilliantly friendly couple and their whippets from Sion to Madrid. They were named Nico and Windsor and were beautiful, friendly and extremely well behaved.

Here are the pics:

Windsor in flight
Windsor in flight

Nico in flight
Nico in flight

And here is the plane we flew them on:
Hawker 800
Some dogs got it all...

Finally, Booker and Tula are both well. Will write more about them later.

Re: Food

Hi Greg & Nicolai!

This is one hell of a thread!! :) two lovely greyhounds, but remember NO GARLIC and especially NO ONIONS! bad for dogs :)

6 MONTH'S!!!!!!!

Today we have had Booker and Tula for six months. And today they both pee'd inside... One had pulled down their duvet from their bed and peed on it, the other peed in a pile (small) of dirty cloths on the floor....

That being said, all is well. there is rarely accidents inside anymore. Booker are getting a lot better when meeting other dogs even if at times still a bit "unruly"... He is responding well to treats though.

Tula's paw is fully healed now. two weeks ago we gave them their rabies vaccine so they can travel although it want be on a private jet...

We give them some raw meat with every meal in the evening and still sardines or Tuna in the morning.

We have walked them with other dogs lately in addition to Kash and his dogs and they have responded very well.

Now they are going crazy wanting out, so I have to stop so we can do the last walk.

6 MONTH'S, LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEXT 10-15 YEARS.

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11