Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Author
Comment
Toys

We decided that they needed some sort of a soft toy that they would not tear apart, so off we went to the pet shop the other day to get them a soft toy each.

We did have one Zebra before, but took it away after reading the thread about the poor dog being fatally injured after eating a toy.

Tula was carrying this Zebra with her all the time, it does appear on one of the earlier pics in this thread, in bed with Tula. The other day she picked up a teddybear from the street and would not let go of it.

Of course the pet shop only had squeaky soft toys. They suggested that we punctured it wit a needle and then it would not squeak. It did not work...

It did make a bit of noise as we were doing this and they both went crazy wanting the toys very very badly. We locked them out of the kitchen while we performed surgery on the toys and removed the lethal squeaker...

We then gave them their toys and they run off in their bed with them. They were expecting a squeaky toy and Booker was very thorough in squeezing down on different part of it trying to make squeak.

They both obviously new how it was meant to work.

Sorry kids....

Bath

Greg is away to be with his family for a while, so I am a single parent at the moment. Yesterday I gave them a bath for the first time since we got them. Thought it was about time...

I was prepared for big wrestling match that never happened. I covered the floor with towels and downed my swimwear and then brought them both in to the bathroom and closed the door behind us. I started with Booker and then Tula after. I lifted their front legs in to the tub and the rest followed easy. I had put a cover on the bottom so it was not slippery.

Then I wet them down with the shower did the shampooing and then rinsed. For the most part they just stood still and let me do my thing. Think they might secretly have enjoyed it. Certainly the shampooing anyway as they stretched out as I was rubbing it in. They only shook of a couple of times. I was well impressed.

I got a couple of good pics and I will put some on here shortly.

Had some really good walks with them last couple of days as well. One day a long way up alongside the river. We were out for a few ours and they slept well afterwords.....

Last night I had a friend come over and we had a long walk with a few pics taken (lots) I will post some of them on here as well. We did lots of running with them and also let them loose in a closed in area and they run a lot in there as well. They slept really good after this walk as well...

Re: Bath

And for those of you that might think that I give the all this extra affection to keep us busy while waiting for Greg to get back, Well, what can I say...

Re: Bath

Nice to hear an update that they're both doing so well. Well done for persevering with their issues with other dogs. I'm trying to get there with my greyhound too and it has been nice reading about how you've approached it and the progress you have made.

Looking forward to seeing some new piccies.

Pictures

Hello everyone!

Booker and Tula are doing well. Both sleeping after their afternoon walk. We had a pack walk last night with Kash and his pack and Booker still shows some aggressive tendencies. He did not get very far and was right away made to lay down. AFter that he was fine. It just shows that we have to be prepared as it came out of nowhere with no warning that I could see. Her is still responding well to treats as well when we are walking. As soon as we have passed another dog with no incident and I start to praise them, them are straight for the treat pocket and sometimes they just sit down and wait, knowing whats coming their way.

Tula just farted and then walk out of the room. Veeeery smart girl..... Speaking of which, I forgot to mention in my post about Nico and Windsor, one of them farted midflight and it was a fart worthy of a large Greyhound. In a small cabin with nowhere to go and no windows to open....

I promised some pics in my last post. I got loads taken over the last 2 weeks. Some of them playing, getting a bath, (my favourites I think) resting and running. Some of them are not quite in focus, but it shows motion and them enjoying themselves, so I have included them. I think I got about 40 pics. [:-
|]

I'll start out with 4 of them getting a bath. I am sure they enjoyed it even if they will never admit it...
Actually I'll do one where that shows one of the places we walk them.

Photobucket
Glasgow Green alongside the river

And the bath pics:

Tula shaking it off.
Photobucket

Tula getting showered.
Photobucket

Booker getting showered.
Photobucket

Booker getting shampooed.
Photobucket

Here are 4 pics from the living room on our orange carpet when I was trying to get a good shot. They were somewhat playful.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Booker relaxing in the sunshine through the window. Just before we took them out.
Photobucket

Next are some close ups of the two of them. In case you can't tell the diffrence, I'll start with Booker...

Look me in the eyes! You are feeling sleeeeeepy....
Photobucket

High? Me? Never!!!.....
Photobucket

In her own bed.
Photobucket

Not in her own bed....
Photobucket

And now for some more indecent photos from the bedroom.

This is just RUDE!!!!!
Photobucket

Finally in their own bed...
Photobucket

And back in ours, thinking that they got away with it...
Photobucket

They did...
Photobucket

More than once....
Photobucket

They love their pig ears. Here is three of them having a snack.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

They like to run down the hall when they get a little playful. Tula loves her ball and will carry it around. Booker is not that interested.

I tried to get one when they were both bowing down next to each other, but I was a bit too slow. They know that when they bow downI will usually give them a good rub/scratching up and down all along their back. They love it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'll stop for now. The next set of pics are from the out side and I will put them on a little later today/tonight.

I can't completely spoil you all by putting all the pics on at ones....

More pictures

Well, here is the last pics from that lovely day outside.This day, it was me and our friend Graham that walked them. The aim was to get some pics taken and he helped me with that as you can see. It was last Sunday.

We did a long walk around the park where we did some running with them before we took them in to a closed in ball area where we could let them loose. They do enjoy that. This is where we practice recall and and sit and stay etc as well as getting them to run freely which they love. You can see the pics and judge for yourself.

The trick is to get out of the way in time when they come running towards you to get their well deserved treat. There is a good one of Tula where she is twirling around me to get her treat. But I'll start with the ones where we were on the grass plain in the park:

They are a little faster than me...
Photobucket

Or maybe a lot, but I got the leash....
Photobucket

Faser than Graham too, but he had the right idea...
Photobucket

After the running we relaxed a little in the grass. The first one is a little out of focus, but I love Booker's expression:

Who are you looking at?
Photobucket

Loved that treat.
Photobucket

Relaxing in the sun.
Photobucket

Finally we made it to the enclosed area for some free running and playing. First two are of Tula, next to Booker and then some with the two of them.

Give me that treat!!!
Photobucket

NOW!!!
Photobucket

Catch me if you can.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I think Tula is the fastest.
Photobucket

Great fun.
Photobucket

Photobucket

After all that playing and running Tula crashed on the grass. The two pics speaks for themselves.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I think thats enough pics for a while. We had lots of fun taking them. Hope you enjoy them as well.

Re: Pictures

These pictures are great! I am so glad to see the troublesome pair have settled in so well! Also congrats on bath time! My foster hound will not take a bath without putting up a fight! . Noticed you have a towel in the bath though, great idea! I'll need to try that one! There coats are looking great as well. Awww.

Re: Pictures

Great photos Nicolai!!! I'm so glad Booker and Tula have found such a brilliant home.

michele

Great day

What a great day we had today with the walk and then the kennels. The day started with their normal morning walk around 7:30 this morning. Kept it a little shorter than normal as energy preservation for the day was a consideration.

Little did they know that for a change they were not off to the vet when we went in to the car....

I am sure they both did enjoy meeting the other hounds. Booker had a short spell of aggression, but after that had been corrected he was fine for the rest of the walk, apart from persistently pulling forward..... Or suddenly shooting of toward a bush or tree that he fancies.... I pull him back as I wont allow him to pull me where he wants to go. Then I walk him towards a tree or bush of my choosing, sometimes the same, and let him do his thing.

Maybe one of these days he well learn....

But it was a great day. We walked around the the large area and before we knew it we were back were we started. I think they behaved very well... SO much going on around them that they were not even remotely interested in a treat.

After the walk we went to the Kennels for some running. Steve was there with his two dogs as well. We took a run each. Just as I finished taking of Bookers leash, the other two dogs started running and of course Booker followed and so did Tula before I could get a firm grip of her. I was really worried that she was gonna trip on leash at 40 MPH and break something. It all went well and when she came back I got it off her. Next followed a bit of light playing before we all went back inside where there were coffee and rolls available. I was hungry too....

They love the attention and will happily lay still for hours if anyone cuddles or pet them. That how I got an extra 3+ hour sleep the other day....

I wanted to do a little recall training with them as well and took them back to the runs again. They got some more running out if it. Tula loves fetching a ball. I had brought the ball that you can see her carrying in the hall above. She will run after it, pick it up and run back past me and lay down a few metres away. After a while she gets tired, now she runs after the ball and then lay down wherever the ball has ended up.

It was a beautiful day, so I left them outside in the run while I played with the grass cutter and run it through the 4 runs. Interesting experience...

Took them for a quick walk after getting home before going inside for some food. Last night I roasted a whole chicken to mix with their food for the next couple of days. I was equally hungry and kept nibbling on the chicken as I deboned it and put some in their food bowl. Mixed it well in with my hand so my scent is on their food. That makes it mine and I am sharing with them. (I am too generous...)

After eating they have been sleeping until I called them for the last walk. We are just in from it. It was short. They are still exhausted and I expect a couple days for them to recover.

Backwards up the stairs

Has anyone seen this before? A greyhound, or any dog, going backwards up the stairs???????

It happened yesterday. As you know we are up a few floors.... When you come in the hall you can go up the stairs or straight through to the back. Tula always wants to go to the back door. So she did. I stopped and pulled a bit on the leash. Booker had already gone half way up to the landing. I called him and he turned around and started to down towards me. Thats when Tula decided to come the right way up the stairs. Booker is so long that it is difficult for him to turn around on the stairs. As a result, he managed to very slowly back up to the landing.

I was very impressed.

Re: Backwards up the stairs

Have you been showing them Michael Jackson videos????

Re: Backwards up the stairs

Steve!
All part of my plan for next years dog show.....

Can't believe I did that...

It was pitch black outside when we did the last walk around 22:45. A bit in to the walk Booker picked a little branch, freshly blown off a tree, for his "little deposit. As usual he kicks up the dirt with his back legs afterwords. I was not quite fast enough in pulling him forward and the branch went flying...

I could not see where the "cargo" had arrived and thus unable to pick up.

My other immediate concern was his back paws. I like the collar of my carpets just fine... I had to check his paws

I rubbed them against the grass a few times and then I picked up one at the time and smelled them... My sense of smell may not be that of a Greyhound, but I am sure I would have been able to smell that. Luckely, all I could smell was clean grass.

What can I say? IT WAS DARK!!!!! VERY DARK!!!

Grey and wet

A bit of a wet day today. I had them out at at 07:30 dressed up in their raincoats. You would think that when the weather is like today, poring down, they would hurry up and do their thing so we could go back inside.

Noooooo luck there....

Their heads were all soaked and you could tell that they were not enjoying it. Nevertheless, 45 min later finally two great big peaces of good workmanship ready to be scooped up and put in the bin....

I don't get it...

Poor Booker

Poor little boy. He hurt his ear today while out on the walk. He had stuck his head in to sniff around in some bushes and suddenly I heard this yelp and he pulled his head out. When I looked I noticed that it was a rosebush...

He seemed fine. I thought he had hurt his nose, so I checked around there and his eyes, but could see nothing, so carried on with the walk. Towards the end of the walk he rolled around in the grass and I Noticed the blood on his white fur. A closer inspection revealed blood dripping from the tip of his ear. We went back inside and I washed it with warm salty water. The thorn had made a small rift about 3-4 millimetres long. I cleaned and checked it, but no thorn stuck in. I then put a plaster a square plaster on and secured it some surgical tape as well.

Here is a pic where you can make out the plaster on his right ear. (left on the pic)

Booker with plaster on his ear

He is not bothered at all and seems unaffected by the plaster. They are going to the vet tomorrow for blood tests from the rabies vaccine + a vaccination against kennel cough.

Greg will be away until the end of the month so I have to Kennel them while away for work. I am taking them out to the kennel tomorrow to check it out and for them and me to meet the staff. I believe I found a good Kennel in the Royal heart Greyhound rescue centre in Port Glasgow.

I'll write more tomorrow evening. Good night.

Heartbroken

I am away from tomorrow morning and six days. Booker and Tula have to go in the Kennel for the duration as Greg is still in the states and will be for some time to come.

I am just about to drive out there now with them.

But at least I believe I found a really good place where they will well looked after in the Royal Heart Greyhound rescue at Port Glasgow. We were there for visit yesterday and I was left with a really good feeling that they would be good there.

I will of course talk to them every day and try to put something on here. I know I will miss them a lot. With Greg away, they have been great company and kept me busy and loved.

Re: Heartbroken

Here I am thinking that I should be going for a walk....

I know they are well taken care off. They have their own room in the house and I was told that someone would be sleeping in the room with them so they are not alone.

Makes me feel a lot better. Must say that after 7 months, the house is very empty without them. My flight is at 7 in the morning, back home on Thursday. Hope they wont sulk when I get them home...

Well taken care of

Rachel and Eddie is the couple running the Royal Heart Greyhound Rescue centre. I have already spoken to Rachel twice today and Booker and Tula are in good hands.

Rachel was working a nightshift so Booker (Eddie ) and Tula slept with him. He is up early, so he woke them up at half past 5 this morning... Yaaaawn....

They had their walk and ate all their food this morning and they were happy to see Rachel again when she came home. I had to tell her that she could not keep them...

They are fine and seem happy enough with their little vacation. I did bring their own bed and duvet, but I am not sure they used them. I guess Eddie's room was the preferred choice.They also seem to get on well with Eddie and Rachel's dogs as well.

I am very happy with the choice of kennel.

Re: Well taken care of

Just to let you know that Tula and Booker are doing fine,lost count of the times daddy Nicolai has called[[:))]they are lovely dogs and yes they prefer our bedroom to the nice spare room,needless to say I'll be sleeping in the spare room with our lot as our rooms just not big enough for four greys and a hairy lurcher,also big Booker's not that keen on hairy lurcher Off to bed now,early shift tomorrow,still recovering from Friday night,night shift,enjoying our lovely guests,told you I'd post something Nicolai.

What can I say? They are my babies...

And here is the proof that they are in good hands. Tula is in bed with Eddie and Booker on the floor.

Eddie told me yesterday that Tula got down half through the night and as soon as she was out of the bed, Booker was in, taking up his usual position with head and shoulder on pillow and legs scratching Eddie inn the back of his head....

These three pics shows them relaxing with their toys next to them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The rightful rulers of the household......

Ahh, always sad when you have to leave them but looks like they couldn't have gone anywhere better for their holiday. A proper home from home.

You are right, I don't think I could have.

I just came off the phone with them as well. They had a few people over today interested in Greyhounds.

They all wanted Booker and Tula......

SORRY, THEY ARE OURS!!!!!!!!!!

As we were speaking a big black and white hound came over and licked her in the face. She did not say who, but I assume Tula as her tongue is never in her mouth... lol Typical her...

They seem quite content and they are eating well, so we are at ease as well, but maybe just a little worried that don't want to come home....

NAH..... Of course they will

Almost time to go home

Well it's almost that time again where my trip away is over and I can get home. `really looking forward to get Booker and Tula home again. I spoke to Rachel this morning and she told me that Tula got up in the morning, walked over and licked her in the face and then went back to bed. SHe does that all the time. I am just jealous....

They had no desire to go out in the rain this morning...

Thursday evening I will be back home. I will write more then about being reunited... lol.

Back home

They were certainly happy to see me again when I went to pick them up tonight.

Jumping up to smear my glasses.... They are not allowed, but.....

They jumped straight in to the car ready to go home. When we got home, at around 22:00, I took them for a long walk around the park. They were still very exited and Booker pulled more than usual on the leash. I spent most of the walk correcting him. In the house they seemed happy and kept following me around. I made their bed back up and it did not take too long before Tula had curled up in the duvet. Booker staid with me in the living room. When I went to bed, he followed and went to bed (his) as well.

They are sleeping like baby's, curled up in their duvet and blanket and looking content.

I look forward to see what the morning walk will be like.

Hope they don't get up too early....

Re: Back home

So we have been home for a few days. They are clearly happy to be home and I am glad to have them home.

The first morning walk was a bit calmer with respect to Booker. They staid in bed as late as 11. !3 hours without a pee is a long time.... Even for a dog. (Might have something to do with the fact that I let them in to bed with me around 8 ish..)

They were both acting as if they missed a year of marking their territory. Booker got this habit of suddenly pull of to the side when we are walking if a particular tree or bush gets his attention. And he is strong...

I am, however, adamant that I will not allow him to pull me (and Tula) wherever he wants. He has to go go where I decide. What seems to work is to stop him and correct him. Make him stand still, or walk a couple of steps with him at heal. Then lead him towards either the same tree/bush or another one. Looks like he is slowly getting it...

A little bit more restless on the first walks after they came home, but now settled back to normal. Booker in particular has gotten a lot easier to handle when meeting other dogs in the park. Maybe all the resent socialising is doing some good. The treat tactics does have a positive effect.

On Thursday I am away to work again, so most likely they will be back with Rachel and Eddie from Wednesday night. One comment on that. Royal Heart is NOT a boarding kennel, but a Greyhound rescue Kennel like this one, but a lot smaller. They generally do not take boarders, but I was recommended and allowed to leave Booker and Tula in their care. Thats why they staid in their home as supposed to a small caged in area. They were really well looked after , so I am happy and confident with them looking after Booker and Tula again.

Right now they are sleeping again. Seems to be all they do. I did have then out for over an hour and then they had their dinner. Yesterday I gave them a couple of Madagascar king prawns, They looved that....

Bananas

Booker likes bananas....

They both came trotting in to the kitchen after the suspicious sound of a banana being peeled. (Good hearing) They seemed to like the smell, so I gave them a peace each. Tula carried her away and in to bed, but did not eat it. She still came back for another bite....

Booker on the other hand took a few moments to figure out how to chew it and came back for more. Twice!

He really liked it. Who would have though. No wonder he is so unruly, a bit of a monkey in him after all....

Re: Bananas

Greg & Nicolai
Booker likes bananas....

.....No wonder he is so unruly, a bit of a monkey in him after all....

Dogs are great aren't they?! That made me laugh

Back with Rachel and Eddie

Well, thats me back to work again. Booker and Tula are back with Rachel and Eddie. They were glad to see them again, but did not seem too happy. I am sure they knew that I would leave them for a few days again. At least when I come back I am off for 7 days. Greg might be back by then as well.

Got the blood test results for their rabies vaccine back the other day, and it was all good, so now they can travel.

I did speak to Rachel twice last knight after I left them. (And this morning..) They settled right in and went straight to sleep. I did have them out for a long walk and a run in the fenced in area, so they before I fed them and took the there, so I think they were relatively tired.

Rachel told me they did not want to go out this morning. They probably knew it was raining...

Re: Back with Rachel and Eddie

The 3rd night Booker was a bit restless. Kept walking up the bed and licking Eddie in the face.

For the most part they slept in bed with Eddie. Usually Tula would get in first and stay about half the night. When she got off, Booker would come up and lay across the pillows, licking Eddie in the ear...

Just like home... Almost anyway....

Home a day early

I got home a day early (Sunday afternoon...)

Straight off to pic them up. They were happy to see me. Very happy...

Tula do not like getting in to the car as she thinks it means another trip to the vet.... But now they both jumped right in to the car wanting to go home.

Gave me a warm feeling....

I fed them roasted chicken with their evening meal after walking them. They love that. I could use their bowls as a mirror after. lol

Took the twice to the fenced in area I use for the to run free. The first time they would not leave my side at all apart from when I made them stay put, walked away and then blew the whistle for recall. They are getting really good at the recall bit. Nice to know in case they ever get off the leash. ( not in my plans)

The second time I brought a friend, gave him a whistle and we did recall back and forth just like me and Greg usually does. Finally they let go and started to run and chase each other wildly. Good to see.

Needless to say that they slept like babies last night...

I just got in from a pack walk with Kash and Pauline with Kahn, Tanya and Nipper. They were both on their best behaviour. At one point Booker and Nipper (the Jack Russell) were both sniffing the same thing and Booker did not go in for the kill. I was impressed....

Now they are resting again. Hopefully I get a lie inn tomorrow morning....

3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12