Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Author
Comment
Re: Tula 14

I will check that.

Lovely to hear that she's still doing well. Sadly I lost her wonderful special dad Nipper, at 10. He was such a special lad.Your photos are brilliant, best wishes to you all.

Happy Birthday when it comes Tula. You look a lovely girl and I think you are related to my Maisie dawg, your markings and paintbrush tail are a giveaway. Get well soon and I’m sure you’ll be spoiled with treats of your choice

Of course she is being spoiled with not only treats, but also the food of her choice... I would say within reason, but thats not entirely true...

She has learned that if she wants something else other than what's being served, she stick hr nose up and walks away. This can go on for a couple of times before I figure out her desires...

And yes, I let her get away with it. It is important that they also enjoy their old age and I only want her to be happy, and I making sure sure that she eats is more important any kind of training etc at her age.

Yesterday we cooked chicken a liver for her... But has more to do with her resent illness. Today we have a box of chicken gizzards... She will love them.

She is back to normal again after the weekend and that is a relief. AS cheeky as ever and her poo was normal this morning as well.

R.I.P. TULA 😢

Tonight we had to say goodbye to Tula. She made 14 years and 9 months.

Tula and her brother came to us one dark February night 10 1/2 years ago. We loved them from first walk at the Kennels and they followed us from Glasgow, to Lisbon and to Olivella near Barcelona. Booker traveled over the Rainbow bridge 7 years ago and tonight The two of them were reunited.

Tula was getting very old and fairly infirm wit a heart condition, arthritis, slight hip dysplasia and deteriorating muscle mass.

Nonetheless, she was not in pain, and her spirit was very much there until the very end and she would run to the gate with other two whenever another dog had the nerves to walk by.

Although we knew she was approaching the final journey, we did not expect it quite yet and not so sudden.

Today after one such run, we noticed that she was not herself. She seemed uncomfortable and in pain. She was bloated, her stomach was very tight and tender to the touch. We rushed her to the vet and as I was driving I was already thinking that I would come home alone.

The vet checked her over and were able to "deflate" her stomach. Somehow she had managed to twist her stomach. The suggested that they could try to rectify it by going through her throat. I asked if this was worthwhile since major surgery is normally the only way to fix this and at her age and health condition I was not going to put her through that.

Before sedating her for this attempt, I went to her to say my goodbyes. She had been given a sedative, but still conscious and calm. I had a few minutes with her, rubbing her ears and nose, holding her head in my hand.
When I put my face next to her nose, she gave me the smallest little lick as if she was saying goodbye. That was all she cold manage.

I held her head while they gave her the anaesthetics and then left the room so they cold do their work.

About 15 min later I was notified that the twist was too severe. We decided not to wake her up, but I wanted to be present when she left us. Again I held her head in my hands. I put one hand on hear heart to feel it one last time before the vet gave the final injection and the breathing stopped.

Tula and Booker were our first dogs. They changed our lives for the better.

Tula and us had over ten happy years together. We take great comfort in that she lived out her full natural life and then some, and as far as we can tell, she was very happy. Here presence was large and it has left an empty void.

I will leave you with the last three pictures taken of Tula. One where she is eying up a peace of pizza on the table and the next where she grabs it. Those where taken 4 days ago. Finally I leave the last picture taken her two days ago.

Now we must look after the other two. They will miss Tula. Especially Nubis was very protective of her.

My dear Tula, You will be missed and fondly remembered.

Re: R.I.P. TULA 😢

Truly the end of an era, Booker and Tula will forever be GRF legends and you let us share their amazing life stories, so thank you.
I can imagine a little of what you must be feeling, as I thought I was losing my Foxy a few weeks ago, when she got up to turn round in the night then suddenly screamed and lay panting for the rest of the night. In lock-down, I called the vet and we agreed to give her Tramadol for pain relief and, gradually, she is recovering and able to walk short distances. She will be 14 in October, so not as old as Tula, but I think they share the same huge courage and will to live.
Tula was clearly a very happy and loved old lady. Endings are rarely pretty or as we would wish for them but it is all that has gone before that make them bearable and, of course, you have your two beautiful boys to give you focus and comfort. In my experience, dogs handle these things much better than we do.
Your last GRF greyhound has gone, but please keep in touch, as you and Booker and Tula are very much part of the history of the rescue and what they strive to achieve.
My best wishes,
Marion

14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23