Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Author
Comment
Re: Booker, 1 year on

Hard to believe that it has been year.

He was lovely boy , so handsome.

Mags

Re: Cat

First, re Nubis on the blue sun lounger - he should have been called Adonis!
My greyhounds like to get on the lounger with me, which completely ruins the experience - too d--- hot!
Lucky escape with the cat! - and you're right, it's so easy to be lulled into a false sense of security when everything's been going fine for a while. You did well to keep Nubis away as a first priority and get Tula to let go. It's something I worry about when I have 2 'chasers' on the lead - you just can't prescribe for all eventualities.

Re: Booker, 1 year on

Mags
Hard to believe that it has been year.

He was lovely boy , so handsome.

Mags

You are right Mags. It's been an eventfull year, gone by fast. still feels like yesterday.

Moving again

The winter season (if we can call it that when it's 24 degrees...) is off to a good start.

The hounds are moving again, but this time only 5 min up the street. We found a large house, living on one level, with a large grassed garden to run around in. And, yes, there is a tall fence all the way around.

Pics to follow. We should start the move in a week.

A scare...

We had a bit of a scare about two weeks ago. Recently Tula has started to slide on the stairs when coming down to the ground floor. They are Travertine/Marble and they can get a bit slippery for her.

Two weeks ago, she slid on the bottom part and completely tore of her "pinky" claw. She did not even seem to notice that she had an open wound there. No pain it appeared. She was bleeding a bit though. I washed her paw in warm salt water, sprayed it with antibiotics spray and bandaged it up.

A while later I noticed that the bandage was completely soaked and puddles were forming under and around her foot. When I took off the bandaging I cold see blood squirting out from her paw about 2 centimetres out.

I called the vet while was thinking that I really did not want to take her to an emergency vet out of hour service... Thats what cost Booker his life.

I was incredibly relieved when the vet on duty was our own vet, Ursula. I brought her down and she was "repaired". She had to have two stitches and then was bandaged up again.

Ursula told me that this was fairly normal and that they had no pain when their claws broke off. What a relief...

The whole downstairs looked like the kitchen floor on this pic and so did the decking outside the house...

New house

On a much happier note: We have been walking up to our new house on some of our walks. The main living area is all on one level, and it has a big garden where they can stretch their legs. They clearly love it and we can't wait to move. It will all be happening slowly over the next couple of weeks.

Here are the pics from this morning:

Already marking his territory...

Moing. Again...

Today we slowly started our move to our new house. I discovered how easy it was to remove the seats in the van, making lots of room for the dogs...

On this occasion however, there were no room...

Poor Nubis. He new something was up. I wonder if he had a traumatic experience in the past regarding moving. We started putting things in the van and he went in and sat down. He would not move, or come out. He seemed very worried and determined not to be left behind. In the end I had to grab him and lift him out.

The new house is not even 2 min drive away, so we were not gone for too long. When we came back, he was very happy. I think Tula knows whats on the agenda. It's hers third move and she was not bothered or interested.

During the past week, we have walked them to the new house frequently, so by now they know the place. Tonight, after we had taken a couple of loads over, I walked them up while Greg took the van up. We then let them run around while we unloaded and sat down for a while in the living room with the furnitures they knew. Tomorrow night we may be moved in. Maybe...

Here are some pics of Nubis in the van.

Re: Moing. Again...

Poor Nubis - he does look somewhat anxious

Hope the move goes well, and that you'll all be very happy in your new home

Susan, Mo & Bootsie xxx

What a lovely house and garden. I'm sure Nubis will settle in very quickly once your stuff is in and you're actually living there.

He is very happy when we are there, so I sure you are right.

We were hoping to be done today, but guess what...

It's definitely our last night here in this house. Only ours and theirs beds and some kitchen ware and our clothes. Not to mention getting the all important satellite dish moved...

We will complete tomorrow. I think they felt at home their today, with all our things there now. Nubis has been a little more relaxed about the loading the van. He still jumps in, but now comes out on his own. I guess he is assured that we are coming back now...

This morning I had a little scare (nothing happened) and thing Nubis had one a bit later:

During our morning walk we were heading down a narrow trail. At a section where it was a bit more open on the side, I suddenly notice a cat laying there as we walked by. It did not move. Nubis was on my other side a wanting to pull ahead. My heart skipped a jump and I pulled Tula in. That motion caused her head to turn towards me and away from the cat. None of them ever saw it...

When we got back to the house they had their breakfast and after they went outside. I suddenly heard some wild barking. This usually happens when other dogs walks by. One dog in particular always sets them off and this was the dog... At the bottom of the garden, below the pool is the pump house for the pool. It is sunken in to the ground and have an aluminium roof slanted towards the fence. Nubis was on top of this barking against the fence. By the time I got down there, the barking had turned in to whimpering. The roof was wet and because of the slant, he was unable to get up and off. He kept sliding back in to the fence. Poor thing. I lifted him off (Becoming a habit these days...) and down to safe ground. He seemed a bit down for a little while after before he got back to his usual self.

Just another reason never to leave them outside if we are not home. You never know what might happen. Anyway, it's their last night here...

Thats finally us moved inn.
Yesterday we brought over our last peaces of furniture, reassembled the bed and of course their bed cushions. We got a new bed for them that I am sure they like. Booker's ashes was also brought here last night. He would have loved this new grade as much as Tula and Nubis does.

Nubis looked like it suddenly dawned on him that this was his new den when he discovered their cushions in our bedroom along with our bed.

Here they are on their new bed.

They seem content enough. This morning after their walk, nubis kept me company for my first morning coffee on our new porch.

After when they were both out, they were playing around a bit before he suddenly got the urge to run. He launched out on 5 laps around the garden and house before finishing straight in through the door and in to the house.

I am sure they will love it here.

It sounds great. I'm sure you'll all be very happy there.

I was in a lovely holiday house at the weekend with a large secure garden and Bonnie enjoyed running after the ball. Our own garden is big enough to lie in the sun when we have it but not much else.

On the other hand, Lady isn't allowed to run about off lead at all because of an old injury to her foot, so it doesn't matter for her.

Well settled.

Since my last post, we have finished moving and all of us have settled well. Still some boxes to unpack, but that will come soon.

Tula and Nubis love the garden. Its lot of space for them to run and and play and they do. in the old house Tula would never run because the outside con sited of slippery tiles and she did not like to slide. The back was too steep and rough to run on. Nubis was much more daring, and would run and then just slide to a stop.

here it is all different. No tiles apart from outside the door and they love it. Tula runs a lot, chasing Nubis or vice versa. They spend a lot of time patrolling the premises and bark at the dogs next door.

They like the house as well as it is now all on one level. Especially Tula did not like the stairs. We do have a large downstairs here as well, but is a separate apartment. The stairs down are not slippery and it is proper traction.

The other day when we were down there, Tula had followed us down and we went back up, she were nowhere to be seen and refused to come up with us. Turned out she was busy investigating and checking every room downstairs. Although this is normal behaviour, I was little surprised as we had taken them around there when we first moved in. We walked with her until she had finished and we all went back up.

It has not rained in long time, but this morning it is windy and poring down with a some thunder as well. Despite getting me up at 07:30, they had no intention of getting wet...

However, they had needed to go outside. I managed to get them out and they followed me down behind the house. Tula was much less bothered than Nubis. She followed me, had one small pee and staid with me until I walked back up. (not long...) Nubis on the other hand was much more reluctant. He stood under the porch until Tula and I had walked off a bit, (after me "dragging" him out, then he came running out, past us and down behind the house. He run around a bit there before quickly deciding on an appropriate place for a loooong pee. All of it I think. Then he run full speed back up under the porch and sat down by the door wanting back inside...

Here are a couple of pics of him. Sorry about the focus on one, did not see this before I had it on the computer and I am not dragging him out again just for a pic. You get the idea anyway.

Looking out on the rain:

Now he is curled up and cosy on the "woolly" (synthetic) blanket on the couch.

The other day we tried the fire place. Greg was on the chair next to it and Nubis came up, stretched his neck out over his lap while backing his behind towards the heat....

Were we are now we can vary the walks a little more. We tend to take them for a long walk in the morning (not today) before feeding. Then we keep them inside for a while so they don't run on a full stomach. They always want to go out and patrol/run right after they eat, but don't want to risk their stomachs turning, so we keep them inside for a bit.

When the sun is out, they like to spend most of the day outside either laying in the grass or on the tiles, or running and patrolling. They are much less restless in the evenings now and they retire sooner and sleep all night. Then they get up 07-07:30...

Here are a couple of pics from yesterdays walk:

They are comfy in their new bed and of course they get in to ours as well. Tula usually prefers to sleep in her own bed at night, but Nubis like to curl up between us. We make him go to his own bed and now that it is cooler, we tuck him in a little as he has very thin fur and likes it warm. We have a blanket for each of them. He will then stay there until around 05:00 when he quietly enters our bed and tucks in between us. We usually notice, but not always.

Some more bed pics...

All tucked in.

The blue toy is Tula's new baby. Zebra lasted intact until Nubis got a hold of it. Now we have Monkey...

Finally, we got them two new squeaky toys the other day. As you know they don't last long with Greyhounds. Yesterday when I played this video, Tula came flying out from the bedroom. Oooops... Sorry Tula.

Finally, here is a little video with the remaining toy:

%%bbCodeItem_11%%

Re: Well settled.

Loved the video!

Winter

Like Scotland, it's getting colder here as well. Even a bit cooler at night at the moment. Tula is not too bothered, but Nubis with his thinner fur, gets cold. As you have seen on the pics above, he likes to get tucked in...

Greg got them both a little number to wear for the cold morning walk when there is frost on the ground.

Tula n her new jumper.

Nubis in his new Jumper.

Nubis tucked in...

In the morning until early afternoon, the sun shines in to the living room. Nubis loves a bit of sunbathing, and here he discovered that he could get comfy on this chair. He had never been on it before.

Tula prefer to have air circulating around here in true greyhound style...

And stretching... Note the blanket hanging off her back leg.

Another vet visit

SO here we are in a big garden with tall fences all around, plenty of space for them to run on, as you can see on the video I put up on Facebook. Free and safe from other dogs, or so we thought.

This evening, while they were outside, I suddenly heard a lot of noise and saw the two of them running back an forth from one end to the other. Then I saw them at the gate and I could see a big white bushy tail and back.

As I went out I saw the other owner grab his dog and walk off. When I got to the gate Nubis started to howl in pain and when I looked I saw what looked like a wound of some sort. I got him inside and had closer look and it looked like a tear from a tooth. I am still puzzled as how it could have happened as they were inside the gate. The location of the bite (jf thats what it was) is behind the left shoulder almost half way between the legs.

The bars on the gate are fairly narrow, but just wide enough for him to get his small head through. Tula cannot. Either the other dog got its head through an bit, (I never saw the head of the other dog) but it looked to big for that and he would have had to stand with his side against the bars which is highly unlikely.

I am wondering if it was caused by Tula in all the excitement, or if he tore his skin against something else, but I doubt it.

We decided to take him the Vet. As before, I was not looking forward to this. Ursula was just finished and was walking out as we walked in, but the other vet that was there was very nice and good as well. He decided not to use any sedatives and just "stapled"" the wound together after rinsing it, shaving around the edges and examine for any foreign debris.

Nubis hardly reacted when the first staple went through but certainly noticed the sec on one, but then it was over. We got antibiotics for him and we take him back to control on Saturday.

When we got home he went straight to his room and did not want to come out. I don't know if he was not feeling good or if he was scared, but he definitely seemed more timid. We will see how he is tomorrow.

The vet had an Irish Wolfhound that Nubis got to meet. I was astonished by the size. Nubis looked tiny next to him as you can see from the pic.

Nubis

Nubis has been a bit on the timid side today. We did a short walk with them this morning. after he went straight back to the bedroom and in to our bed and refused to come out. I had to put his lead on, but as soon as I did he jumped of and followed me in to the kitchen.

I prepared their breakfast with Half a can of sardines, and he ate it all and then went back to the bedroom...

He has been quiet all day, but as the day passed he has slowly started to get back to his usual self. Tomorrow morning I am taking him back to the vet for a check up. He looks ok so fingers crossed.

Re: Nubis

Took him back to the vet this morning to check and make surest was all growing properly. Ursula was very happy and said all was perfect.

Today he is back to his usual mischievous self.

Good news!

Glad all's well.

Happy new year to you both, and the dogs, of course.

Her name was Nefertiti. 2013-2014

Her name was Nefertiti!

Nefertiti found us last Friday during Greg's walk with Nubis and Tula. She was hungry, under nourished, week and tired. Greg took her in and gave her food and a warm, safe place to sleep. The next day he took her to our vet. She had a microchip belonging to Galgos112 in Girona. They were called and later that evening the owners came and took her away. She had been missing two days. They had her for two months. We were concerned about her well-being and safety and contacted the rescue organisation. This morning they called and said Nefertiti had a new temporary foster home. The owners had promised to bring her. We were asked if we would take her in. We decided to bring her in to our family. When we called Galgo112 we were told that she had died yesterday.

She was young, only about a year old and the sweetest little thing. We both fell for her and we felt that she had found us. Now life somehow feels empty.

Rest in peace Nefertiti.

Re: Her name was Nefertiti. 2013-2014

Nefertiti was a beautiful podenco... Sad to hear the bad news... I think she would have been a perfect addition to your family. Podencos are clowns (comedians) in dog bodies, very playful but they are loyal and loving as well.

I don't follow the story, how come she was suddenly dead? Did she had an accident or did the people she was with just pht or what happened?

We don't know why she is suddenly dead. We and Galgos112 suspect that she was put down rather than giving her up, but we don't know. We are awaiting a veterinarian report as to the cause of death.

That's so sad. Maybe there's an innocent explanation, but I suspect not. Some people can be so staggeringly selfish and cruel.

I have never missed Tula and Nubis as much as I did this time away working. It was wonderful to come home and feel their excitement and wet tongues. Even Nubis licked a little. I put up a note and pic of Nefertiti on the "In Memoriam" page. I think she deserves to be remembered.

just read the fb, that is a strange excuse

6 months gone by

We are still here and we still keep a frequent eye on the GRF site.

We are all well settled in our new home and liking it very much. Now it is high summer and hot with 30 degrees and a baking sun. Walks are confined to two a day. One in the morning before it gets hot and one in the evening after sunset when its cooled down. Because we are in the hills of the Garraf National park it cools down nicely after sunset.

Nubis being a local does mind the sun at all. He still likes to trot around outside, lay in whatever is left of the grass for a little bit and then cool down inside before doing it all over again.

Tula has discovered the coolest places in the house, on the tile floor in a corner, or doorway where it is a cool draft. We don't have aircon, but the house is well designed and keeps cool. Especially when we open up doors and windows, it creates a nice breeze throughout.

Tula has found the cooled room in the house where we put up a futon and a fan for her. She likes it there and she is comfortable, not even panting.

Luxury: Her own fan keeping her cool

We had a shift in the dynamics between the two since last time I wrote. There is no question at all as to who is the BOSS.

It is of course TULA the merciless.

Remember when Nubis got bitten when we had another dog outside the gate? We now know it was Tula. It happened twice more in short succession, but much less severe. Nubis is now much more respectful towards Tula. They still get along well, sleeping together and running around the garden together.

In the evening after sunset they are much more active and so are the other dogs in the neighbourhood causing a constant run out to the gate or their viewing point to check things out. Tula often reacts first by making her "I am not happy about this" noise, followed by a deep bark. As soon as she starts Nubis is out the door barking.

A new thing that has started to happen when Nubis react first and Tula think it's not worth the bother, she will get up, get to the door first and then block him, growling a little bit to make her point. Nubis stops instantly and just stand there looking bewildered before going back to lay down.

They both like to run around in the garden, but in particular Nubis likes to run laps when it's not too hot. Here is two links to same video of him running. Note the sudden stop when he realise that Tula is having a pee and has to cover it...

Nubis running from Nicolai Moore on Vimeo.

Re: 6 months gone by

Here is the other link:

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23