Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Author
Comment
Re: Still here

Possibly Steve. Who's to say. There is a criteria of him that he needs a garden and another dog.

If we keep him we cannot do any more fostering. By the way, if he cannot make it to the states, he can certainly make it to Scotland...

And finally, You just wrote post number 600 on the thread... ))

Moët's new forever home

Hi.

It has taken a while, but we have finally secured a forever home for Möet. I think he will be happy there. Tics all the boxes for him, including two dogs to play with, one Greyhound and one Galgo.

All we have to do now is to find a good new name for hime and order lead, collar and name tag...

What happened?...

He has grown a bit, less puppy like, more muscle tone and a bit taller.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Re: Moët's new forever home

They just have a way of worming their way into your life, and heart .....

SO glad that he is staying with you guys - sure you'll all be very happy together

Have a great Christmas!

Love,
Susan, Mo & Bootsie xxx

If only I could predict the winning lottery numbers as well as I predicted you'd keep Moet - I'd never have to work again!!!!!

He is very sweet and full of energy. And he is very happy here. Like I said, he has grown and matured a lot over the 4 months. He now looks like a healthy dog, unlike when he was rescued from the streets.

We have known for some time that we would probably not be giving him up, but we made the decision last week. Not only do we not have the hearts to send him away, we are also attached to him. He is part of the family now.

Glad to hear that guys.
He is a beautiful, majestic dog.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all five of you.
Jimmy and Celia.

He looks lovely, what a change. Just to say about Tula, of course she is the top dog, she has been in the house before the boys and she is a Lady so it is meant to be like that ,in our house Jess is also the boss even though she is smaller than Floyd she can shout him down no problem, for instance when I come home from the shops it is Jess' job to go through the bags for a quick control. Once Floyd was going to do that and she went for him that he never done that since. I feel sorry for boys sometimes

So, 'all you have to do is find a new name and a collar, lead and name tag'.
I don't expect Moet gives a _ _ _ _ (fill in the gaps as you wish) about that, he's just in heaven because he has love and a great home. Some of us just aren't cut out for fostering !
I think Moet quite suits him as he's the ultimate designer shape, with 'eternal' hind legs - he reminds me of a cheetah.
We wish you all much happiness.

Tula is the boss. Alpha female, there is no question. She really has to assert her authority because it is beyond approach. The boys do try it on a little bit now and then and are put right in their place. I suppose being the "tank" that she is helps too. She weighs 10kg's more than them.

Greg & Nicolai
She really has to assert her authority because it is beyond approach.

It was meant to say: She REARLY has to assert her authority...

Sick children and stolen bananas

Last week while I was away,Tula got sick and threw up her dinner. Yesterday morning Nubis threw up before we got up, and again this afternoon, about 5 min ago.

Tula is doing a lot of "backwards sneezing" at the moment and we have to see if can get something for it. She has been doing this since we got her, but it seems to be getting worse.

Möet is fine. He stole a banana from the fruit tray and took it to their mat in the living room where he peeled and ate it...
Never seen a dog do that before.

The other day we were a bit more concerned when he took an Avocado. Luckily he did not swallow the stone. We called the vet right away and he said to wait and see. Some dogs get get sick, most only have a small feeling of unwell and some gets nothing. We kept an eye on him of a couple of days, but there were no abnormalities. not even more quiet. I guess when having lived on the street, scavenging whatever he could get, has made hime more tolerant.

Walking time.

It is 16:25 and walking time and Nubis is the first to let us know. He starts making noise and barks a bit. The Tula follows up by trying to get up on our lap and administer a "facial"... Now Möet follows up by get restless and taking after Nubis and bark a bit....

Time to go.

Re: Walking time.

Walk is over. We did a long walk through the neighbourhood and the forest. The two boys got lots of Stamina and I could probably have walk them longer. That being said, they are a little quieter than usual. They had their food and Tula and Nubis are already sleeping. I don't think Möet is far behind...

Nubis turned in to tracking mode at some point when he got the scent of a dog that had walked in front of us. He was practically running with his nose to the ground. We were catching up with them, so we turned around a took a different route. It was a good walk for all five of us.

Moet is a beautiful dog. He must be very tall..? I think he is a great addition to your family.

He is very tall. He has grown too since he came here. Gotten a little taller and paws has gotten noticeably larger... I think he is already as tall as Booker was if not a little taller, but much smaller body. Booker weighed 40 kg's. Möet is only 25.5...

He is very bouncy and loves to jump and run around outside.

Möet's new name: HUBBELL

I took us a while, but we have finally decided on a new name for the hound formally known as Möet.

His new name is Hubbell. Two inspirations coincides with this:

Robert Redford's caracter "Hubbel" in the film "The Way We Were". He could be Robert Redford and Barbara Streisand's love child...

The other inspiration is the Hubble Telescopewith its Solar panels (Big ears) and long lens (nose).

We decided to use the spelling of the film character, so Hubbell it is.

Re: Möet's new name: HUBBELL

A fantastic name for a stunning dog. He's got his Mums nose! 😄

Beautiful dog! I think the size of nose is a very distinctive feature of the breed (Galgos). Podencos are also very beautiful! When I was in Spain I saw neither Galgos nor Podencos...Hmm... I am planning to visit Malta this year, so I am looking forward to seeing the Kelb tal-Fenek...If I am lucky enough, I suppose...

Jen B
He's got his Mums nose! 😄

EXACTELY!!!

And his "dad's" hair...

7 months on

Hello everyone.

7 months now since I last wrote about our family, Tula, Nubis & Hubbell, Greg & I. It has been a "cold" winter and a hot summer. Lots have been going on and also in many ways staid the same.

We have now had Hubbell for exactly one year.

To start off, here is a pic of the three of them by the dining table:

From the left: Nubis, Hubbell & Tula

Tula does very well during the cooler months. Nubis and Hubbell gets cold when it gets below 10 degrees. The summer is opposite, where the boys are happy and enjoying the sun while Tula gets a bit warm.

During this hot season they get one walk a day, and it is in the evening when the sun is low and there is lots of shade, or after sunset. The walk is also short due to the heat. Generally if the temperature gets too warm, they don't get walked at all. We often take Hubbell and Nubis for a walk and leave Tula at home, on those days, one of us will stay home with her. On other occasions we all walk for a short walk, then one of us takes Tula home and the other two gets a longer walk. Not only are not bothered by the warm weather, they also have a lot more stamina.
We have fans on continuously in the bedroom and one next to the dog mat in the living room. When it is really hot we reserve that for Tula. She will stand there looking at us and waiting for us to chase Nubis or Hubbell away and then she will lay down in front of the fan, eventually laying on her back letting the cool air blow over her belly. We also use a wet moped to cool her down when it is hot and after the walks. She really likes it. As soon as she sees the red mop, she stretches her neck out in anticipation. We do her neck and ears good and also the paws as lots of blood circulates through ears and paws for cooling. Of course do all of her body, including her chest and belly. She loves it.

After we are done with her, the other two get their turn as well. Hubbell also loves it, Nubis seems less interested, but I think he secretly enjoys it as well.

Tula enjoying her wet mop rub.

Tula on her back in front of the fan.

Nubis and Hubbell also likes the fan.

Once upon a time there was a garden with lots of green grass. Over the course of the year, this has now turned in to a sandpit, mud pit and a dessert with several holes in it. Oh yes, Hubbell in particular loves his digging. Nubis also likes to get in on the action and sometimes Tula just can't help herself... Together they digs holes big enough to berry one of them in, but we can't decide which one, so they are all safe for now... I am sure you get my drift. We love them all to bits, but with three large dogs, sometimes they just drive you nuts...

With all the grass gone due to there "racing" dogs and the heat we are now putting down singles all over the yard, but creating running trails around the pool, the olive tree and between the door and gate. They will all interconnect and runs along the their normal running pattern. We got about half the yard done and they do follow the tracks. One of the holes are right in the middle of the yard so for now we set the wheelbarrow in it to avoid any broken legs.

Here you can see the holes, wheelbarrow and all and also the work in progress with creating their running trail and our yard.

Hubbell is the most eager digger. He digs a hole and then lays down in it as you can see below:

Hubbell has grown even more and he is now a big muscular boy at just under two years old. The three of them are happy together and him and Nubis have their daily runs around the yard every evening. They are at it for some time. Hubbell usually stops first and Nubis, having none of it at barks at him to get him running again. We go out and stop him when that happens, but then they run some more and so on. This happens several time throughout the evening and can be a bit frustrating at times.

Tula and Nubis are both very territorial and do not like it when someone has the audacity to walk their dogs past our gate. How dear they... There is wild barking and fierce running between the gate and other end of the yard, depending on which way they are walking. Of course they know when someone is coming this way as the other dogs down the street also makes noise. They also know that if they are walking in one direction, they will be coming down the street thats down the hill from our yard and stand there and wait until they can seem them and then bark at them again, along with our neighbours three dogs on the other side of the fence...

I have much more to wright, but I'll take a little break for now.

Re: 7 months on

Hi Greg & Nicolai,

Hope this finds you both well.

How lovely to hear from you Not sure where the weeks / months / years go to be honest! Mo & I both turned 50 this year, and Bootsie is now 7 ~ he was just 3 when we brought him home from Baltree !!!

Obviously Tula, Nubis & Hubbell are thriving Your photos are great!

Bootsie loves digging too but we don't actually have a garden, and his Grandad is trying to protect his beautiful lawn

Anyway, love to all there from all here,
Susan xxxxx

Good to hear from you guys again

Lovely to read all about you and your family and lovely to see the photos. Looking forward to the next episode.

Tula, Nubis & Hubbell

Today I am starting 6 days away with work again. Unusually relaxing today as I don't have a flight before 16:55 this afternoon.

I had the dogs out for a little walk about an hour ago and now they are all crashed out on the floor. This is the norm at this time of the day, especially during summer.

I rediscovered this video of Nubis and Hubbell after they had been running for a while. This was about 10 months ago I think. Here is the link:

https://vimeo.com/103627125

Every morning Tula is the one that gets us up. Usually between 07 and 08 she starts making a lot of nice demanding attention and more importantly food. The other two don't move. They are happy to stay another couple of hours or so, all snuggled up in bed. Tula is having none of it. She is hungry and thats all there is to it.

So after a bit of protesting to no vale, one of us gets up. Hubbell will then get up and go out for a long pee when I open the door. Tula reluctantly goes out on the porch, stops and looks at me and then turn around back inside. She is only interested in her stomach. Hubbell comes back inside as soon as he is done. Now that it is warm and dry outside, he might have little patrol before coming back inn. In the winter when it is cold, he runs back inside and straight back to the bedroom where he will take my still warm spot in the bed...

At this stage Nubis is still in bed.

I now start to prepare their breakfast which consists of a cup of dry food and a can of sardines shared between them. If we have no sardines left, they get an egg each (scrambled) instead. While I prepare the food, Tula and Hubbell lys on the floor, Tula by the wall out of my way, Hubbell by the counter where I stand, risking having his tail stepped on...

Just before I am finished, Nubis appears in the door. Always stretching out greyhound style and then waiting for the food to be set down. Even then he is no rush. While the other two starts to eat, he comes by for a scratch and some cuddling before going to he his food bowl. Hubbell is very good at feeding time now. He knows that he has to give me eye contact before being aloud to eat. He is very obedient with this and I don't even have to tell him to wait.

Here they are at dinner:

Nubis is enjoying the last bits from a bucket of pig cracklings. They all had a couple each.

Re: Still here

Your yard is a brilliant size, no matter about the grass , we have got a digger as well, I have got a wee "anti-Jess" fences around my flower beds, once she dug a hole under the shed .

Glad you are all well

Re: Tula, Nubis & Hubbell

Yesterday it was a bit warm at home.

Greg told me about getting them getting them ready for their walk. Tula first then Nubis and Hubbell.

It is always Tula first. She is the alpha female and her authority, although beyond approach, is not to be messed with...

Her collar is a snug fit and we thought it might be a bit hot in this warm weather, so we have now started to use Booker's old collar on her which is a much looser fit, but still to tight for her to get out of.. It seems appropriate now that she is an older lady at nearly 10. (November)

After he had gotten her collar on and draped the lead over her while getting the other two ready. He then walked towards gate. When he got to the gate, he noticed that Tula was still standing in the door looking at them, When he called her, she turned around and walked back inside... She had had a short walk earlier in the day with me before I went to work and her dinner earlier. It was hot outside, so why would she be wanting a walk where there was a nice comfortable bed with a cooling fan blowing on it?... Definitely not on her agenda...
Greg went in a took her lead off and left her while walking the other two. That worked out well because they have more stamina and is not bothered by the heat, so they got a longer walk.

Here is pic from earlier in the year on a walk with all three of them.

And I really like this one of Tula from the same walk.

Re: Tula, Nubis & Hubbell

Hi Guys.
That is one beautiful and very happy family.
Thanks for all the great photos.

Booker

It is a day of remembrance for us today. It is now 3 years ago since he was ripped away from us with no warning. Hardly a day goes by where i don't think of him in one way or another. Hubbell has a lot of similarities and reminds me of him all the time. It is a good thing. They are all happy memories. I spent some quiet time with Tula this morning, just stroking here. she of course does not know why, only that I needed a good licking...

We will light a candle today in his memory.

Re: Booker

Awwww so sad and I feel your pain I have lost many animals over the years but just think of the good times and the nice life you gave him while you had him and the three beautiful babies who s lives you have saved now lots of love gill john and willow our bouncy baby from celia and jimmy xxxx

Re: Booker

We CANNOT believe that it has been three years ... where does the time go ?!?

Thinking of you both today, and the fur babies, particularly Tula.

Love & hugs,
Susan, Mo & Bootsie xxxxx

14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23