Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
greyhound hair loss

Dear All, re Hair loss. When i got my first rescue greyhound [the gorgeous Roxy] her last owner had asked Celia & Jimmy if he could contact me to see if she had settled. He was pleased to here that she had settled well and advised me to give her a teaspoon of honey every day as this was what he gave his greyhounds. Following his advice I can honestly say that her coat is glorious. Silky soft and all her hair has grown in. Have now started the same treatment with my second dog [the handsome Rocky] and can see the improvement already. He is still casting his 'kennel' fluff but the hair is silky and shiny and his dandruff has cleared up.
As an addition re the grey who killed the cat.. mine would also do the same if I gave them half a chance but I refuse to muzzle them. Roxy has been attacked three times by dogs that were loose and just last week the two of them were attacked by 2 Staffies who were loose. They were able to fight back although on the lead and I got a few kicks in before the owner appeared!!! Why people think they can let these troublesome dogs run loose heaven only knows. If I had had a small dog they would almost certainly have killed it. My dogs were traumatised and it was another trip to the vet to get both of them checked over... they have recovered fine and back to their usual bouncy selves. [o:)

Re: greyhound hair loss

hi,could you tell me what kind of honey is best.
many thanks angie

Josephine Crawford
...just last week the two of them were attacked by 2 Staffies who were loose. They were able to fight back although on the lead and I got a few kicks in before the owner appeared!!! Why people think they can let these troublesome dogs run loose heaven only knows. If I had had a small dog they would almost certainly have killed it. My dogs were traumatised and it was another trip to the vet to get both of them checked over... they have recovered fine and back to their usual bouncy selves. [o:)

And what did this owner have to say for themselves? An apology? An undertaking to keep their dogs on leads having seen the error of their ways? An offer to pay vets fees? I do hope so, but somehow doubt it...

I would also be interested to know which type of honey to use as Ace is a bit bald round his bum and has some dandruff.

Karen

I use any honey, usually on a small slice of brown bread. I also give them tuna fish in sunflower oil, approx 1/3rd mid sized can, mixed with their biscuits maybe 2-3 times a week. Sorry for delay in getting back to you but have been 'off the grid' for a few weeks. Hope this helps.

Freya has some baldy patches but she also has very shiny, silky smooth hair everywhere else. Both she and Vince get Tuna and Pilchards every week and although they like most sweet things they don't like honey.

However, we think Freya's baldy bits are more likly caused by the fact that she loves to use the storage heater as a backrest so part of her thinks it's high summer.