Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vets - money before welfare

Last week we changed vets (many thanks to a rescue close to us who let us know who they used) and what a difference it has made.

Vince hurt his paw during the last week of November. We took him to our original vets for 5 visits (never saw the same vet twice) including an operation to cut his pad and investigate (they were also meant to x-ray whilst he was under but didn't do it).

They found nothing but Vince contiued to pull up and limp every so often. During this 5 weeks they also kept him full of anti-biotics and painkillers.

The last visit to them just before Xmas disgusted us.

He was seen by a female vet who made it obvious that she didn't want to be at that branch at that time and apart from the fact she either couldn't be bothered to read his notes or the notes were that bad they were useless, she said she couldn't see anything wrong and just to keep him on his meds.

He went to see the new vet last week, had a very pleasant check-up, some different antibiotics and went in this morning for another op to his pad as they were certain something was in there.

Just picked him up together with a chunk of glass that I fail to see how anyone could have missed and a bill for about half of what we were charged 1st time around. We currently have a slightly dopey dog who is going to be pain free for the first time in weeks and a couple of happy owners who have found a vet they can trust to do the right thing for the animal rather than the best thing for the balance sheet.

Re: Vets - money before welfare

As with all trades and professions there are some good and some bad. I think the best thing is to go to someone who has been personally recommended by somebody whose judgement you trust.

Good to hear that Vince is on the mend.

Shocking to hear but have also experienced crap vets too.

Yip - Been there and done it - found a good vet via my cats - wouldn't change them - they are brilliant with the dogs and I've been with my vet now for over 10years.

There is something in the belly - when you know you have the right folk looking after the welfare of your beloved pets. Not so good when you are on first name terms with them - but hey hoo - that is what happens when you have pets.

Good to hear - all is going well.

good to know your lad will be pain free now,he'll be enjoying walks again in no time.

I have been using my vet for nearly 20 years now and I wouldn't change them for anything. It never ceases to amaze me how many folk complain about bad treatment at their vets and yet they don't look for a better one, just because they are using the one closest to where they live.

Well done for getting a better job done, and I'm glad you got to the bottom of your dog's problem!

As far as we're oncerned, the welfare of the animal is sacrosanct and if the vet doesn't work on the same principle then they can forget having us contribute to their retirement fund.

The piece of glass is about 3mm x 3mm x 2mm and we feel that missing it was extremely negligent.

As it's worked out, the new vet is only about 1.5 miles further away than the old one, albeit in the opposite direction and the service, staff and fully itemised billing is a much better experience than we had before.

chris & chris

The piece of glass is about 3mm x 3mm x 2mm and we feel that missing it was extremely negligent.

Just out of interest, how did this piece of glass find itself buried into the dogs paw in the first place?

He got it while we were out walking.

We had a similar problem with Duke last year but it was a piece of grit not glass. His pads are often very dry and cracked, and this was how a foreign body had got in. Does anyone have any advice on helping the cracked pads ? His paws are still the same which isn't great in this weather as so much grit around just now.
Wishing Vince a speedy recovery.
Thanks
Fiona

You can get paw wax. It helps prevent damage from gravel, asphalt, snow, roads treated with salt and all hard surfaces. Also helps provide a sure grip on smooth and slippery surfaces.

My parents use it for their greys when the roads and pavements are gritted. We've never used it - the gritters never come around here! I think you're only supposed to use it outside as it can leave a slightly greasy residue that may mark carpets.

If you do a quick google for 'paw wax' there are loads of places that sell it online.

Thanks Steve. Someone else did suggest this to us and we bought some, but to be honest hasn't been very successful. Our house is mostly carpeted downstairs so felt the wax was rubbed off before we ever got outside. Maybe we just need to persevere with it but put it on at the front door. Although what with leads, coats, and snoods and then some paw wax, the dogs will take even longer to get ready for a walk than the children Bring on summer !!!

hi fiona

SAW YOUR MESSAGE ON THE FORUM ABOUT YOUR DOG

HAVIN G CRACHED PADS. I HAVE HEARD YOU CAN USE

VASELINE ON THE PADS TO KEEP THEM MOIST.

TRY IT AND SEE.

Poor Vince.
Is he being stoopider than usual?