Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
why not with a cat?

I am just wondering if greyhounds are really unsuitable for sharing a house with a cat...I know it may be hard to some greys to get along with cats but I am sure there are ones that would make friends with cats or even other furries if the proper training and introducing were provided. I think most of dog breeds perceive cats as prey but due to the proper handling they can get on perfectly well together. I have become fascinated about greyhounds after my coming to the UK. The thing that saddens me so much is the number of unwanted ex-racers...That sounds very cruel to me when a dog is no longer a profit maker his trainers or owners just dump it as an unwanted thing...
Sorry for my bad English but I have still been a newcomer to here...
Regards,
Stan

Re: why not with a cat?

Hi, thought I would reply to you. When I went for my irst greyhound (We now have 3), I was told I couldn't take her home because I had a cat in the house.

3 Greyhounds later and thomas (cat) is still alive and kicking and is certainly the boss of these 3.

I introduced them slowly - and never had any problems. Im not saying this works out for all hound/cat relationship but mine has worked well - infact as we speak the cat is cuddled up on the chair with one of the hounds.

Jenny

Thanks for your reply!:-) I think your story abolishes the myth that a vast majority of greyhounds are not cat-friendly. Of course at first they need a lot of patience and devotion to be trained out of old habits to chase furries. I am not a dog behaviourist but I dare to say that most things related to this issue depend mostly on the patience and consistence we can expect from their owners. It is an easy task but...who said that life must be easy...It certainly is not easy! I am so glad you have managed to overcome this problem and prove it is possible to make cats and dogs(greys) become good friends

Stan, I think that Jenny's post goes to show that some greyhounds can be cat friendly, but I don't think I'd go as far as say that a vast majority of greyhounds are not cat friendly.

From their training and breeding most (but not all) greyhounds have a very strong chase instinct. There are some who could never be trusted with a cat, whilst there are others who could easily be retrained. There are some greys who never race because they are not interested in the lure - they would be ideal for a cat owner, but they are in a minority.

A neighbour of mine has two lurhcers, one of whom has a very strong chase instinct but he was retrained and fine with his own cat - still chased all the neighbours cats given half a chance!

Anyone with cats wanting to adopt a grey would be best advised to tell Celia, trust her judgement and be patient until the right dog becomes available. There is good advice in Anne Finch's "pet owners guide to greyhound" book on how to introduce your grey to your cat.

Hi Steve,
I think you are right I have gone too far saying that a "vast majority" of greys are cat trainable. I would never dare to question what Celia or Jimmy say about this issue. I am aware and full of admiration for their experience and knowledge of greys. I just think that maybe more greys should be given a chance to get retrained as we all know that is a big obstacle for many greys in need of home. I know that most dog breeds have this instinct and I do know that greys have it even deeper rooted. However not giving them the chance, many of them stay in rescues or kennels all their lives. The thing is we never surely know something if we do not try it. Given that the first introduction may be a failure it does not mean that the whole process is going to be unsuccessful. It may take long but if we have won it means a victory for all the parties involved.
Kind regards,
Stan

Greyhounds and Cats can mix, we have two rescue Hounds and a 17year old cat, cat is the boss,even so I never go out and leave the cat in the same room with the dogs,just in case they get over excited and eat her

Annie my cat is defo the boss of this house - the dogs get over excited and the cat takes a gentle swipe as if to say this is my house you will behave, he certainly puts them in their place.

I wouldn't say all greyhounds are cat friendly - but Celia & Jimmy were fantastic when it came to picking the right dog for our situation. First with Luggy (now Jake), he was more fasinated with the cat than anything else, and Noah just didn't care. He looked at the cat as if to say "and what are you?" haha