Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
"From a Window" lyric question...
"From a Window To a Screen" is to me one of the most musically perfect, concise, glowing pieces of music ever created. So it's kind of embarassing that after all of these years I still can't tell what's "on the stereo" in the second verse. I think it starts with "I...
Views: 344   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 28, 2005 7:50pm
by some guy
a
Aaron
The new tune
Can't stop playing it! Restarting a band after so many years off is not an easy thing to do well. This tune has satisfied a craving I've had for a long time. More please... gimme gimme!
Views: 161   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 28, 2005 6:53pm
by Aaron
Sept. '05: Best Power-Pop Month Ever?
Four dB's shows...and today I read that a new Big Star album is coming out September 27?!? My oh my.
Views: 216   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 28, 2005 2:01pm
by toddsteed
g
Gray
db's mentioned in this week's offbeat net posting
Due to Peter's status as a NOLA resident, there's a nice little piece on the new db's project & tour, with a link to the new tune, as well, in this week's offbeat net posting. Check it out at offbeat.com (offbeat is a NOLA publication about local music & related even...
Views: 187   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 28, 2005 12:54pm
by Gray
Hotel Hoboken
Like the guy asking about hotels in Chicago, what's the poop on a hotel near Maxwell's? I've never been to Hoboken, and though I can stay across the bridge it might be fun to camp out near the club.
Views: 186   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 28, 2005 12:40pm
by S.X. Ramone
dB's shows info
here's the draft of the mailing list email that's going out as soon as we can get it done. There's a bit of info missing, like how to buy tickets for the Hideout Block Party. But you can fill in the missing details. Hope to see you all there. The dB's Onli...
Views: 411   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 25, 2005 7:26pm
by jill
Magnet Magazine's "Artists Surrender Their Favorite Power-Pop Songs"
...in which our boys get lots of love... http://www.magnetmagazine.com/interviews/powerpop.html (Thanks to the Audities list for the link!) -s P.S. Peter can confirm or deny the Chris Ballew story... P.P.S. Definitely poke around the Magnet site -- i...
Views: 210   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 24, 2005 1:26pm
by Peter H
f
fantom
Song titles
FYI, came across list of song titles for the new album at: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/03/29/125103.php
Views: 263   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 21, 2005 9:23pm
by fantom
Got 'Em!
My tickets for the Maxwells shows arrived today. I am so psyched! Last time I saw the dBs was at W.C. Dons in Jackson, Mississippi in, what, 1988? Here's hoping Maxwells will arrange to have an old toilet sitting out front...just like Dons...heh.
Views: 155   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 20, 2005 11:40pm
by S.X. Ramone
Sneakers' Racket CD?
is the Racket SNEAKERS cd hard to find? i see a copy on Ebay right now but don't know if it's worth bidding on... ted
Views: 165   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 20, 2005 9:55pm
by Peter H
tour up north?
WOW it's great to hear the dB'S are back together and touring,I am woundering if the reunion tour will be bringing them to Toronto Canada in the near future let's hope so. a long time fan Nick
Views: 102   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 20, 2005 11:51am
by Nick Pavlakovic
dB'S live
Are they doing any more shows on the East Coast? NJ is quite a hike for me, I was wondering if they will do more shows before I buy tickets.
Views: 267   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 20, 2005 11:15am
by Larry
funeral service for Gilbert Nestor.
Gilbert M. Nestor III Gilbert M. Nestor, III, a twenty year veteran of the entertainment business, died on Saturday, July 2, 2005. He was 43. Mr. Nestor was born in New Orleans, LA and lived in Kenner, LA for the past 25 years. He is the beloved son of the la...
Views: 231   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 17, 2005 6:47pm
by Peter H
dB's shows at Maxwell's (Hoboken, NJ), Sept. 19 & 20
Todd at Maxwell's has graciously asked us to play at our old stomping grounds right after our Chicago dates, and we've set our calendars for 9/19 and 9/20. See you there . . . I think this will be it as far as shows in 2005, best as I can tell
Views: 395   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jul 15, 2005 7:21pm
by Jack Silbert
a
AJ
Q about Yo La Tengo
Okay, don`t shoot me, but Yo La Tengo...are they any good live...? I`ve heard about them here a couple of times and I still haven`t picked up the album that Chris did with them... But they`ll be in good ol` Amsterdam (Paradiso) next month and I`m thinking about check...
Views: 231   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 12, 2005 10:08am
by AJ
a
AJ
New material/(New) Live material
Hey, Just a question... is there any chance that some of the new (live) stuff will be put on this site to give some of the dB`s-lovers here a chance to listen... Guess there are plenty of us that won`t be able to make it to any of the new shows... Again, just a...
Views: 248   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 12, 2005 10:07am
by AJ
j
James
Live Dates
Good Morning All. There is a mention of the upcoming live dates in Pitchforkmedia.com. Here you go: http://pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-07/12.shtml#dbs
Views: 208   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 12, 2005 9:22am
by James
dB's in Chicago
So according to Ticketmaster, the dB's are playing at the House of Blues in Chicago on Sept. 17 at 9PM on the Back Proch Stage. Pollstar has something about the band playing at the Hideout in Chicago on the same date. Will there be two shows or is the Hideout one...
Views: 237   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jul 11, 2005 9:21pm
by steve heave
GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!
GRRRRREAT!!! Will look forward to catch the dB's in Greensboro and Winston Salem. Maybe Roanoke Va. also.
Views: 178   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 11, 2005 8:48am
by GUY MULLINS
d
Don
Fetching Bones the beginning
I've known Hope from way back, I was with Paul Cole in one of our early practice sessions in his parents living room, seems like pretty boy Earl (future Bones guitarist) was jamming with us, can't remember his last name...Hope was there , talking about how she'd love...
Views: 299   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 9, 2005 3:10pm
by Don
d
Don
Horace---the prank call
I probably know too much about this, and not knowing what the statutes of limitations are about such a thing, I'll be rather guarded , a legendary prank call was made to a man named Horace and was recorded..snippets and pieces of this conversation have popped up in a...
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 8, 2005 4:52pm
by Don
d
Don
Grotto!!!
Sup dBs?...For the hell of it I entered a search for New Haven, Ct The Grotto..and I wound up at your site...I live in N.C now but remember that great hole in the ground pretty well..I drummed with Area Z from 87 to 91 while in New Haven..I also drummed with The Bell...
Views: 174   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 8, 2005 12:53pm
by Don
r
Robt.
Bumbershoot
I think I saw on Chris Stamey's site thet he was going to be playing the Bumbershoot festival in Seattle on September 2 (my birthday!). I don't suppose there's any chance of turning this into a dB's show... just for my birthday. OK, probably not. But are there a...
Views: 106   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 8, 2005 6:47am
by Robt.
d
Don
Guitar Matt
Here I go again...This is The dBs board...but these nostalgia contacts are amazing..it's like a time machine..I don't know if anyone remembers my band's Area Z guitarist Matt Laskowski..or much else about us for that matter...anyway, he was like so many I've known, v...
Views: 189   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 7, 2005 9:48pm
by Don
d
Don
Grotto Don again
Just spoke with my former Area Z band mate Paul Cole (currently with The BackBeat in Chapel Hill)..He tells me his current drummer Chris Chamis was doing sound for the dBs in the days of that Grotto visit..and some of you guys went to High School together at Reynolds...
Views: 179   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 7, 2005 6:35pm
by Don
Gilbert Nestor III
Sad news. Gilbert Nestor, a friend of the band, passed away on Friday, July 1. His brother Keith confirmed his death. Gilbert was our soundman on tour for several years. He also played lead guitar with Will and Jeff in Wipe Me Mommy, and he played drums with me a...
Views: 395   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 7, 2005 5:58pm
by Steve Scariano
Gilbert Nestor Of Wipe Me Mommy Has Passed
Gilbert Nestor of Wipe Me Mommy passed away in New Orleans last week.He was a great sound man and a great guitar player and will be missed by all who worked and played with him.He loved life and loved the music buisness inside and out but he let his demons get the be...
Views: 168   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 6, 2005 9:18pm
by Keith Nestor
g
Geoff
Musicians? Friends?
Anyone on this list from San Diego, CA? The dB's are one of my biggest influences. I'd love to meet other people/musicians who love this band.
Views: 155   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 6, 2005 4:48am
by Geoff
The dB's Mentioned in 'Blender'
For some unknown reason, copies of the magazine "Blender" began showing up at my door about three months ago. The latest, which arrived a couple of days ago, contains a section on New Wave. In one sub-section titled 'Amerindie: 1980-1988,' the mag lists several ban...
Views: 239   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 6, 2005 4:46am
by Geoff
f
farley
Another happenstance question.....
how does these lyrics really go... here's what i always mumble to it: "happenstance we fell into off the cuff the (i have no idea here) tryglamoff (that's what it sounds like at least to these idiot ears!!!) what's chris really saying there? better yet, ANY...
Views: 195   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 6, 2005 4:04am
by AJ
n
Nuppy
The Amazing Influence of the dB's!
Well this is my 1st post. OK, 2nd, but the 1st day I've posted here. I do lurk a bit... The dB's have formed the soundtrack to many many events in my life and continue to do so. I love everything from the writing to the performance, to the production of it all, es...
Views: 185   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 5, 2005 1:35pm
by Nuppy
Met an old friend of Peter's.
I was at the Laura Cantrell/Stephen Malkmus/Yo La Tengo show today in Battery Park, NYC. I start talking music with the guy next to me. His tastes/era seemed pretty similar, so i asked if he knew the dB's. He said Peter was a good friend! Michael Koenig (spelling) wa...
Views: 157   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 4, 2005 11:53pm
by Jack Silbert
Like this...?
Hi to all out there! Okay, this is my first post, so be kind! Does anyone know how i can get a copy of "Like This"? Is it even in print anymore? Thanks in advance. Oh, i am talking about a cd version. Thanks- Stephen
Views: 201   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 4, 2005 11:27pm
by Chris H
"Like This" question for Peter
I've always heard the Japanese pressings of "Like This" included a lyric sheet. Have you ever seen one? I've seen other artists whose Japanese lyric sheets had bizarre translations (the sheets usually had lyrics in Japanese and English-which seemed to be translated b...
Views: 303   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 2, 2005 3:10am
by Peter H
Views: 119   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 1, 2005 11:47pm
by GUY MULLINS
HOW RAW IS RAW????????
How stripped down have yall been in sound ?????
Views: 130   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 1, 2005 11:45pm
by GUY MULLINS
Chicago show!
Ok, I just got my tickets for the dBs show at the House Of Blues in Chicago on September 17th! You can get them online right now through ticketmaster. So who out there am I going to see and hopefully get to meet at this show?
Views: 298   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 28, 2005 11:38am
by Steve Scariano
Some Love
As I sit listening to the new stuff we recorded in January, I realize I need to send you, our loyal supporters, some love. I am so grateful for the time and energy you've lavished on our rock band, most of which seems to fall under the category of 'grassroots marketi...
Views: 240   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 28, 2005 9:02am
by Saint Frank
So it's "like that"...
Hey - thanks to all who replied to my post. I guess i will get onto e-bay to find any "Like This" copies. I do have one other question though - i heard that RHINO records released a copy of "Like This" w/a bonus track. Does anyone know of this? Thanks again for a...
Views: 134   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 28, 2005 5:05am
by Phil Turton
Radio Free Hoboken is on the air
My fellow dB's fans, Internet station "Radio Free Hoboken" is now on the air in all its lo-fi glory: http://hoboken.merklee.com The spotlight is on the 80s underground through a Hoboken lens: Artists-in-residence (Yo La Tengo, The dB's, The Feelies, The Bong...
Views: 342   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 24, 2005 2:47pm
by John Ned
j
John
Tour Dates
Any more word on possible live performances by the band? I just got an e-mail from Pollstar announcing a show in Chicago on September 17th at the Hideout. BTW, you can get free e-mail alerts from Pollstar for up to 5 artists when live dates are announced.
Views: 622   Replies: 20
Last Post: Jun 24, 2005 1:04am
by Jack Silbert
j
Jim
Secret Service
I have seen some references to this band from the late Seventies and early Eighties as if Peter or Chris played with an earlier incarnation. I think they opened for the dB's the first time I saw them in Greenville in January of 1982. Somewhere along the way (maybe...
Views: 339   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 20, 2005 5:25pm
by Peter H
Site updated
In celebration of the dB's upcoming Chicago reunion-show, I have updated my fan page. Hope you enjoy it! http://home.earthlink.net/~riderfrost/
Views: 251   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 19, 2005 8:04pm
by John Micek
Happenstance -- crickets?
Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I can't find the info elsewhere on this (excellent) web site.... In the song Happenstance from Repercussion, at about 2:30 (as the "she walks into the room" verse starts), I hear something that sounds like chirping crickets....
Views: 225   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 17, 2005 10:49am
by Bill
s
Stacey
Luxury Condos Compilation
Follow the links on http://www.twintone.com/ and you can find this compilation of Hoboken artists from the Maxwell's scene. A custom burned CD is available, which I'm getting with my next paycheck. Why does this matter? Well for one, there's a remake of Ask For Ji...
Views: 360   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 17, 2005 3:32am
by Chris H
h
howie
darby hall
Hi does anyone have the lyrics and chords to Darby Hall ? Started to work it out but flondered. I think it is the dB'S greatest underated song and there are lots of candidates cheers kim
Views: 198   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 16, 2005 10:10am
by Peter H
dBs Tributr disc
Jim Huie @ Paisley Pop e-mailed me today to say the tribute disc should be out roughly at the end of August or very early September. Can't wait to get it! Bobby Sutliff
Views: 235   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 16, 2005 3:02am
by AJ
When Chris Played Bass with Ryan Adams. . . .
Hi, Chris. I just caught Ryan Adams's show last night in Raleigh (killer show, though I know he's not the most popular peep in these parts) and it occurred to me that you played bass in at least one version of Whiskeytown. Would you describe that experience? Is Ry...
Views: 249   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 15, 2005 9:56am
by Chris Stamey
lyrics
Where can I get lyrics for dB'S and solo Stamey stuff?
Views: 148   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 14, 2005 2:07pm
by Jake
f
farley
girlfriend song
is there any chance the song "girlfrien" (from paris avenue) has anything to do with the sudden parting of ways peter had with the R.E.M. boys? the whole "since '82" makes me wonder... that's the year chronic town came out. i may be completely off track.. it ma...
Views: 335   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 11, 2005 7:40am
by adrian
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Free Forum powered by Bravenet