The Loincloth Site's Talk Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Have enjoyed this site and wearing loincloths for a long time...

Those are some nice looking skins! Been trying to get some together myself for a while now. I used to do reenactment of a Scottish trapper who married into the local tribe, and that was pretty much the only time I got to throw on my kit. Sadly, the lockdowns happened, so that's been put on hold this year. Wish I had the sorts of areas it looks like you have. Joining in the Pow Wows and ceremonies also sounds amazing! Sadly, someone like me wandering about the local woods in my kit would be a bit too weird for us Brits.

If you're okay with sharing them, I wouldn't mind seeing more photos of your breechclouts. Don't worry about being on the heavy side, I'm as pudgy as the Pillsbury Dough Boy (and as white to match XD). You look good in that photo!

I didn't have any photos of me clad in only a breechclout, so I took a few in my home just now; I figured you might be most curious about the fur 'clout, so here it is...

As you can see, I am a bit hairy...wearing furs, I think, is a good look for me.

Hi Bear, thanks for sharing your photos. I agree, the fur is a good look for you.

Your garb looks great!

Karsten

Thanks for the compliments!

In my dreams, the fur 'clout that I wear is not coyote skin, but buffalo fur. I'll have to find an affordable source of buffalo-robe scrap before that can be made.

The man in the coyote-fur breechclout in A Man Called Horse was something of an inspiration for trying a coyote-fur 'clout. It gets very warm if one is active, so it's best for just relaxing in--and it's worth having just for that.

I have the day after tomorrow off and it's supposed to be sunny and warm. Will take some outdoors shots then.

That's an interesting-looking clout. I had read that some were made of fur, but never found any concrete records of them having existed. Is it a full clout, or just two flaps tied to a belt? Been thinking of putting together something for winter reenactments, since it does get real cold over here in the winter. Some fur would definitely fight that off!

Here's a photo I dug out from a reenactment last year. Most of the stuff here is suede, but the breechclout is wool. The pelt is a coyote, though I have others too. Mostly for props (mink mostly), but also have a fox pelt headdress for photos I picked up from another reenactor.

Yes, it's a full 'clout, made of three coyote pelts. I have never worn an apron-type breechclout/loincloth.

For cold weather, you might want to try a wider loincloth than the one you're sporting in your picture, made out of an old woolen trade blanket. You'll probably want red to go with your shirt. In the time period you're portraying, a trade blanket that was a little too faded and/or threadbare to be worn as a robe or used as bedding would get cut up into loincloths. The red trade blanket in the background of my photos above is one type that is correct for this purpose; a solid scarlet blanket would probably be the best choice. Many of these blankets were and are sourced from England; perhaps you could find one near you at a resale shop.

You're portraying an adoptee, and your shirt suggests an affiliation with a Plains Tribal nation. If your ears are pierced, wear some earrings! Along with wearing Tribal clothing and growing out your hair, having one's ears pierced was another way Plains adoptees were acculturated into their new communities. Basic, silver hoop earrings are a good starting point.

Thanks! The gear I have is mostly pieced together from hand-me-downs, which is why I want to start working on replacing it. Especially if the shirt is more from the plains tribes. The intent was to aim more towards the north-east/northern tribes. From what I could find, Scots displaced from the Highlands ended up getting along well with the tribes in that area, and adopted the customs pretty easily given the similarities between the tribes and the clans. I'll keep an eye out for some trade blankets, there's always something going around. Sadly, I lack the skill and tools to make anything of my own, so any buckskins I'm trying to get would have to be bought from other makers.

Thanks for the insights, though! I really appreciate it!

Tuuwa, shoot me an e-mail so we can continue this discussion more in depth and keep this forum on-topic.

From the Northeast Tribal nations I have Ojibway, Abenaki, and Mohawk ancestors and would be honoured to assist you towards getting your setup correct.

Sure thing! I sent an email earlier today, hopefully it wasn't caught in a spam filter. They can be a bit overzealous sometimes.